Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
The GS cage is the right cage for 1x, the SGS cage is for 2x and 3x.
The size of the cage has nothing to do with the biggest sprocket it can clear.
And the M8000 can clear sprockets up to 46 teeth. You have to put a chain in there and adjust the B-screw.
Thank you! My local friend said that about an hour ago when I asked but it's good to have confirmation from another set of ears.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
hello everyone

i read all pages and links and bit lost so better to ask
need total capacity to pick RD and cassette with front drivetrain

1. how is calculated single drive?? just difference on cassete without front drive train? no matter how big drivetrain is? is that right?

2. on 2x/3x drivetrains u said difference in cassette and drivetrain to summarize
but what if no chaincrossing
let me try explain

front 22-32-44 cassette 9-42
obviously i cant use 22-9 or 44-42 because chain crossing and ofc total capacity in this case go over 50+++
so does total capacity count if lets say i use
22 with bigest 2-3 on cassette think is 44-35-28
32 with middle area 28-24-20-17
44 with highest gear 14-12-10-9
so does i calculate total only with speeds i use and lets say 22-32, 32-44 drivetrains???
as this calculation giving me next total capacitys
22-32 with 44-35-28 TC 26
22-32 with 28-24-20-17 TC 21
32-44 with 28-24-20-17 TC TC 23
44-32 with 14-12-10-9 TC 23
and if only 2x with 11speed cassette then TC is up more
lets say 30-44 front cassette 30-46
30-44 with 46-39-33-28-24 TC 36
44-30 with 24-20-17-14-12-10-9 TC 29
is this right??? or iam totaly wrong and must calculate whole range even if i dont use some speeds or dont go to chaincrossing

hope i explained good so by this if i use long cage i shoud have more space for misshifting without any problems and to have RD with big wrap because of big cassette ?? ofc if my understanding is right :)

sry all for bit long post but hope someone can clariffy me all this so i dont get something wrong
and ty all

·
Registered
868 Posts
Unfortunately it's not clear what you are talking about, mainly because you're not making it clear with what you are trying to achieve. What front and rear setup are you trying to get working?
hello everyone

i read all pages and links and bit lost so better to ask
need total capacity to pick RD and cassette with front drivetrain
1. how is calculated single drive?? just difference on cassete without front drive train? no matter how big drivetrain is? is that right?

2. on 2x/3x drivetrains u said difference in cassette and drivetrain to summarize
but what if no chaincrossing
let me try explain

front 22-32-44 cassette 9-42
obviously i cant use 22-9 or 44-42 because chain crossing and ofc total capacity in this case go over 50+++
so does total capacity count if lets say i use
22 with bigest 2-3 on cassette think is 44-35-28
32 with middle area 28-24-20-17
44 with highest gear 14-12-10-9
so does i calculate total only with speeds i use and lets say 22-32, 32-44 drivetrains???
as this calculation giving me next total capacitys
22-32 with 44-35-28 TC 26
22-32 with 28-24-20-17 TC 21
32-44 with 28-24-20-17 TC TC 23
44-32 with 14-12-10-9 TC 23
and if only 2x with 11speed cassette then TC is up more
lets say 30-44 front cassette 30-46
30-44 with 46-39-33-28-24 TC 36
44-30 with 24-20-17-14-12-10-9 TC 29
is this right??? or iam totaly wrong and must calculate whole range even if i dont use some speeds or dont go to chaincrossing

hope i explained good so by this if i use long cage i shoud have more space for misshifting without any problems and to have RD with big wrap because of big cassette ?? ofc if my understanding is right :)

sry all for bit long post but hope someone can clariffy me all this so i dont get something wrong
and ty all

·
Registered
10 Posts
i want to get 10 speed 9-42 casette e-thirteen what they say work only with max 2x drivetrain but i want to keep also 42-46 drivetrain what come only with 3x or custom 2x

or their 11 speed 9-46 what they say only work on single drivetrains

in short i want 9-10-12-14 cogs to be used with high 40-46 front drivetrain for descent, but at same time i need also climbing capabilitys so need also 22-34 drivetrain

plz help me how to decide what need be done
atm runing options are 44-32-22 sram X0 with cassette 11-36
XTR 980 22-32-40 with RD 986 shadow 45TC cassette 11-36

asked around and ppl saying to me in bike shops that i cant get e-thirteen to stick on them as i want to put on XTR bit bigger drivetrain instead 40-42 i want get 44-46 as biggest and to have also small one for climb

so how to get this cassette to work with 44-46 drivetrain for descent and to have also some climb capabilitys

ty for fast responding

·
Registered
247 Posts
42-9=33, 46-22=24. 33+24= 57. Good luck finding a rear mech with a range of 57.
Do you really need a 22/46 gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
thats why i ask here if someone can suggest me how to sort it and whats be possible
after some reserching i got to available plan to build with some modifications

droping triple drivetrain to double
that be giving me
drivetrain 30-44 = 14
e-thirteen cassette 9-42 = 33
total 47 can this rear mech 45t survive or must drop to 30-42 drivetrain to fit exact 45t

as i dont have experience with cassettes is all cogs can be placed on each cassette???
on what i need to pay attention
as i see 10 speed cassettes 11-36 that be perfect for my setup give me more to play on drivetrain if i can fit smallest 4 cogs on from e-thirteen also bother me as at middle cassette will be bit bigger gap in gears tooth wise

10 speed SRAM 11-36 cassette = 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36
moded version instead original e-thirteen or shimano will be = 9, 10, 12, 14, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36

will this be problem IF cassettes can be builded separatly
also one more question when allready aking here even its not for here
about drivetrain can i convert triple in double by removing smallest chainring to keep middle and big one. because all i see is removing mostly biggest one??? do i need specific double drivetrain as if i understand good i need spacer outside big chainring to keep drivetrain bit closer to frame for chain line so is this even possible??

ty for all help and sry for being anoying but not too much into all this thing and its very costly here to play with it

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm not sure what are you trying to gain with this gears that you are mentioning. Fast bike, but with enough ratio to climb? 44T front, and 9 in the back... Trying to overtake a road bike? You need some stamina to pedal 44/9 for more than a few miles on a normal cadence. You can remove the smallest chainring. You can still climb some steep hills with 30/42 combination. Long cage derailleur can accommodate 47T.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thank you thats all info i need much appreciated
you kinda hit my plan perfectly :)

to clarify removing small chainring do i just remove it and keep all as it is or need put spacers somewhere for better chain line?? as final thing i still confused

·
Registered
217 Posts
Trying to confirm if I can run a 10speed XO short-cage Type2 with clutch, with an xg1080 11-36 and a single ring 38t up front on my no suspension bike ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have experimented with all the different combo's with Sram. FYI use can only use a X9 medium type 2 with the clutch on a 34t it will not work on a 36t in the rear, but you can use a standard medium cage on a 36t cassette it will work. I run 1X10 on two of my bikes and XX1 set up on the other. I also us the XX1 crank with 10 speed chain and cassette with a 9 speed power link.
Why would the x9 type 2 with clutch not work with with a 11-36 xg 1099 cassette?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question about what type of pull I need for my front derailleur I am building a 2012 Santa Cruz superlight I am putting an xtr drive train but in doing so I bought a side swing top clamp fd not knowing I needed a side swing low clamp okay but now I need to know if it's a top pull , front pull or a bottom pull can anyone help me ????

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just got a Scott Genius 150mm travel bike with XT 8000 on it. It currently has a 2x setup with the 11-40 cassette and the SGS long cage rear derailleur. I want to swap it out to 1x and a 11-46 cassette. It seems from reading here the ideal setup is the GS medium length derailleur. Will the SGS long cage work or does it need to be swapped out for sure?

·
XC iconoclast
2,005 Posts
this can be a frustrating topic. for example, you look at a certain 10 speed rear derailleur, it can say long cage, but then it says max cog is 36t. they make 10 speed granny gears with 42, or even 46 teeth now. so is this rear derailleur not a long cage anymore? maybe total wrap capacity is a lot more important to look at? maybe when they made 3x10 speeds it really was a long cage but it appears that the definition is now based on how many front chainrings the bike has. if its 1x and 10-46t even some short cage derailleurs may work fine. so maybe the general rule is: get the widest cassette range possible, then 1x is short or med cage, 2x is med or long cage, and 3x is long cage?

currently I'm having a minor issue with 3x8 and the cassette being a Sunrace 11-40t cassette. love the wide gear ratios but the med cage altus derailleur cannot shift into 40t. bought a derailleur extender but it didn't fit the frame right. so I asked on Amazon what's the correct or most popular extender. one answer was surprising. they said you can put on a 9-speed derailleur long cage and it will be fine as long as the shifters match the cassette cog count. looking at the length of various 9-speed derailleurs, it became obvious they were all longer than the 8-speed ones except maybe the Alivio. so maybe problem fixed for $20-40, we'll see. whether or not this can apply to 9/10 speeds or 10/11 speeds for compatibility I'm not sure, my guess is yes for 9/10 and no for 10/11.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The GS cage is the right cage for 1x, the SGS cage is for 2x and 3x.
The size of the cage has nothing to do with the biggest sprocket it can clear.
And the M8000 can clear sprockets up to 46 teeth. You have to put a chain in there and adjust the B-screw.
So, what would be the better choice for a 1, 11-36 drivetrain, GS?

RD-M6000 derailleur's box state that GS is for 11-42 cassettes and SGS for 11-36 though 11-32 cassettes. This confuses me, as everybody seems to have pretty clear that GS is medium cage and SGS is long cage, but also everybody seems to be clear that long is for wider range and medium for narrower range. Isn't 11-42 wider than 11-36?

2018-11-15 001.jpg

I know I'm most probably missing something about chainset tooth difference, but I got into mountain biking in a 1x era, so please someone enlighten me.

For practical means I have a bike with a 38t single chainring and an 11-36 cassette. Am I fine with the GS "for 11-42" (according to shimano) or should I get the SGS "for 11-36"? Which one would be the "ideal"?

What I understand from quoted post is that GS should be the right choice. Is that correct?

·
since 4/10/2009
31,228 Posts
So, what would be the better choice for a 1, 11-36 drivetrain, GS?

RD-M6000 derailleur's box state that GS is for 11-42 cassettes and SGS for 11-36 though 11-32 cassettes. This confuses me, as everybody seems to have pretty clear that GS is medium cage and SGS is long cage, but also everybody seems to be clear that long is for wider range and medium for narrower range. Isn't 11-42 wider than 11-36?

View attachment 1224927

I know I'm most probably missing something about chainset tooth difference, but I got into mountain biking in a 1x era, so please someone enlighten me.

For practical means I have a bike with a 38t single chainring and an 11-36 cassette. Am I fine with the GS "for 11-42" (according to shimano) or should I get the SGS "for 11-36"? Which one would be the "ideal"?

What I understand from quoted post is that GS should be the right choice. Is that correct?
You need to go back to post number 2 and do the math.

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-...erailleur-284688-post2911477.html#post2911477

On the side or back of the package (or on Shimano's website) you will see some specs, specifically those stating max capacity, max front difference, and the cassette specs. You can't really fudge the max capacity numbers much without modifying the derailleur (aftermarket kits are available to do this). Cassette specs are more flexible.

In your usage scenario, you can probably go either way, honestly. The SGS lets you have a bigger gap between front cogs than the GS cage, so if you wanted to run 2x, that would be a critical spec to pay attention to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Running a 1x10 with an 11-42 cassette. Need a new SRAM derailleur.

Math says I need (0-0) + (42-11) = 31T capacity.

Trying to figure out if I can get away with a SRAM GX 10 speed short cage derailleur.

Reason it might work:
(1) Someone claimed to get 33T capacity out of a SRAM short cage (link to post)

Reasons it might not work:
(1) 2nd post in this thread says SRAM's stated short capacity = 30T
(2) Comments I've seen that say max cog size is irrelevant were written before 42t cassettes emerged

Can anyone who has experience running at 1x with an 11-42 cassette on a SRAM short cage chime in?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Forgive me, so what is the TLDR for this particular topic? I have a broken M8100 long cage I believe and since warranty is a bit out in the air (I’m in Australia and had a bike assembled and delivered from Germany) for it. While Shimano and SRAM recently released new products I noticed most derailleurs have come down in price and decided to grab an M9100 XTR to take advantage of this opportunity. I suppose since I have 12x M8100 on a long travel suspension frame it’s probably best to stick to a long cage derailleur.

·
damned rocks...
2,593 Posts
Forgive me, so what is the TLDR for this particular topic? I have a broken M8100 long cage I believe and since warranty is a bit out in the air (I’m in Australia and had a bike assembled and delivered from Germany) for it. While Shimano and SRAM recently released new products I noticed most derailleurs have come down in price and decided to grab an M9100 XTR to take advantage of this opportunity. I suppose since I have 12x M8100 on a long travel suspension frame it’s probably best to stick to a long cage derailleur.

The medium cage (GS) on the 12speed XTR model is supposed to be used only with a 10-45 cassette on a 1x setup, as the max sprocket size is 45t and total capacity is 35t.
If you have a 10-51 cassette and/or a 2x setup you will need a model with a long cage (SGS).

221 - 240 of 241 Posts