Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Guys, i have problem.

I had Shimano RD-M773 SGS before. After small accident i ordered upgraded, RD-M786. And now noticed that i have SG version. I ordered it together with XT cassette (11-36), and casette is compatible by tooths. Problem pobably is my chainring. Chainring configuration: 24/32/42.
New derailleur specs:
Max large sprocket : 36 T -OK
Min large spocket: 32 T -OK
Smallest sprocket: 11 T -OK
Front chainwheel teeth difference: 18 T -OK
Total capacity: 35 T, i have (36-11)+18 = 43 -PROBLEM
So, what i should do? Send derailleur back?
Thanks...

·
Registered
867 Posts
well u need a long cage, SGS, for it all to work as is. Or, get a single raceface wide/narrow to replace your 3x up front and der will be fine. I did that with my trance 3x, it was fantastic. I went a 38T but a 36T would have been better. Consider a 32T or even 34T depending upon your trails and climbing strength.

Guys, i have problem.

I had Shimano RD-M773 SGS before. After small accident i ordered upgraded, RD-M786. And now noticed that i have SG version. I ordered it together with XT cassette (11-36), and casette is compatible by tooths. Problem pobably is my chainring. Chainring configuration: 24/32/42.
New derailleur specs:
Max large sprocket : 36 T -OK
Min large spocket: 32 T -OK
Smallest sprocket: 11 T -OK
Front chainwheel teeth difference: 18 T -OK
Total capacity: 35 T, i have (36-11)+18 = 43 -PROBLEM
So, what i should do? Send derailleur back?
Thanks...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Because it isn't brainiac math, it's very simple math. Secondly, he may want to understand why it all works, not just a black and white answer.

Guys, why all the brainiac math? The OP just wants to know what cage to use with his 11-34 cassette.......fer cryin......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi to all. Would like to ask suggestions on what type of rear derailleur cage should I need to 2x10 set up. A medium cage or a long cage? My set up would be 38T-26T chain ring and 11T-36T cassette.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I had the same (effective) issue as you. I ran a short cage, but had to give up the easiest gear in order to do so. I was happy with that.

Hi to all. Would like to ask suggestions on what type of rear derailleur cage should I need to 2x10 set up. A medium cage or a long cage? My set up would be 38T-26T chain ring and 11T-36T cassette.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will be using single 46T (or maybe 42T) up front and 8 speed cassette 11-34 in the back.
I will use SRAM x4 or x5 rear derraileur. Should I choose medium or long? (sram doesnt seem to have short ones).
Please please help with this!

·
Registered
867 Posts
A 46T!! I think you should opt for bionic legs before worrying about derailleurs lol

I will be using single 46T (or maybe 42T) up front and 8 speed cassette 11-34 in the back.
I will use SRAM x4 or x5 rear derraileur. Should I choose medium or long? (sram doesnt seem to have short ones).
Please please help with this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
A 46T!! I think you should opt for bionic legs before worrying about derailleurs lol
46T is becauae there will be mounted a Bafang BBS01 mid drive motor kit. And that only comes with 46T.
Ill have 42T if not Bafang. The bike will be ridden commuter style 100% on bicycle lanes and roads in our just outside of the city.

Medium or long x4 / x5 derailleur?
I've previously ordered a long cage for this build but maybe I have to rethink?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im kind of lost here...Iam putting together a 2x10 system with an xx 11/36 cassette..
with a 2x10 xx crankset with 29-42 rings....will a medium cage xx derailleur work or do I need a long cage..any help would be appreciated...this is my first build

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well, if it can run a 10-speed chain, this suggests a medium would work!

SRAM XX 10 Speed Rear Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles

Im kind of lost here...Iam putting together a 2x10 system with an xx 11/36 cassette..
with a 2x10 xx crankset with 29-42 rings....will a medium cage xx derailleur work or do I need a long cage..any help would be appreciated...this is my first build

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All. Interested in the 11sp e*thirteen TRS cassette for a 1X setup. the chain capacity would be 35, so i assume it to be compatible with the shimano m-9000 gs cage (max cap is 37). however according to http://www.ridextr.com/specfiles/en/RD Complete Specs.pdf
the low sprocket max is 40T. e*thirteen website reports Shimano compatibility, however:
2016 TRS+ Cassettes | the hive

so basically i want to understand if the TRS cassete and M-9000 are compatible.

sorry if this was already discussed it didn't turn up in a search. thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I noticed that SRAM went with an even longer cage with their new Eagle drivetrain. Looks like a proper long cage RD, since the capacity that they need to handle is 40t (50t big cog - 10t small cog).

SRAMEagleRDLongCage.jpg
- Length of cage evident by how close the lower pulley is to the rim

For Shimano, looks like a GS would barely handle some of the wider range cassettes, since they reportedly have a capacity of 33t, and need to handle a 1x spread of 31 (42-11 = 31), as long as the chain is sized properly (not too long), and the bike isn't a FS design with too much chain growth.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi
Ordered a medium cage XTR M9000 11 speed derailleur to go on my XTR 11-40 cassette and my m9020-2 hollowtech2 26-36 crankset, will i need a long cage for that configuration? gearing will be 2x11 on my setup.

181 - 200 of 238 Posts