Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for so many posts in last couple days; but was wondering if anyone could give me a small description on when/how to be shifting.

The drivetrain is 3x9.

I read some that with improper shifting you can mess stuff and really want to avoid that.

Do I always need to start in lowest gears?
Is it bad to shift more then one gear at a time?
Anything to avoid when shifting?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't run big/big or small/small combos as this wears the drivetrain unneccessarily.
If you're climbing, ease off pedal pressure when you shift as that will make it smoother.

That's pretty much it really!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what gearing would be used when trying to get the most speed out of your bike? I thought big/big but did not know it puts extra wear on bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rear cogs: larger = easier, smaller = harder
Front chainrings: larger = harder, smaller = easier

On each shifter the smaller lever moves the chain onto the smaller cog/ring, the larger lever moves it onto the larger cog/ring.

In basic terms, the further the chain is from the bike, the harder is is to pedal; closer to the bike is easier. On the smallest ring at the front you should only use the three or four largest cogs at the rear. In the middle ring you can use all the rear cogs. On the largest ring you should only use the smallest three or four cogs at the rear.

Does that make sense?

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
big in the front smallest in the rear is top gear,,

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
IF you want to know what your gears are good for since many overlap, get a copy of Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike maintenance, not only is it one of the best books out there with chapters on everything from, basic repair, to emergency repairs, there is a chart with gear combos that will tell you what your bikes gears do in ratio, so you can figure out which gears are the same in your bikes gear configuration, or if you want to change ratios, like 2x9 or 1x9, or add more teeth to one of the sets.
The first 2 or 3 in granny(small ring) usually are all you need there, then use the middle ring up front untill you want to go fast, then in the big gear the top 2 or 3 gears are all you need now you're only using 13 to 15 gears of the 27 you have.
the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask...
Happy Trails

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Shift early and often. you should be looking further down the train and anticipate shifting, if you are in the middle of the hill and the gear is too big it's too late. It's ok to wear down the shifting pulley on your derailleur, not many people can do that.
I set my target rpm at 65-70 rpm and shift as often as I can to maintain the cadence, then work my way up to 80-85 rpm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts