Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When to service/replace Fox RP3 shock?

I purchased a demo bike and while it rides like a dream I can't help wondering about the condition of the rear shock. The front shocks on the bike are in great condition. On the surface the Fox RP3 rear shock looks intact. I weigh 230 lbs and I can set the sag just fine at 160 lbs, but I notice that the shock is a bit wobbly and I have to pump it to 190-200 lbs to have the right platform. When I pay attention I do feel a difference in the different platform modes, but they are very subtle. I'm told that that at the hard position should feel like a lockout, although others tell me that may be a bit of an exageration. Not knowing how long the shock has actually been used, I was wondering what cues others have used to determine that its time to get the shock pushed or replaced. Thanks

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone out there that had to do a replacement. I really need some info on this one.

G

·
You said its wobbly? I am not sure what you mean by that? Instead or replacing it why don't you send it to fox for a factory service. That should bring it back to life and make it new again.

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By wobbly I meant that the rear suspension bounced to much. The sag was easy to set, but I didn't have a decent pedal platform unless I increased the pressure. You recommend sending it to Fox instead of Push?

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Very little difference in the 3 settings

Cyclopod said:
I purchased a demo bike and while it rides like a dream I can't help wondering about the condition of the rear shock. The front shocks on the bike are in great condition. On the surface the Fox RP3 rear shock looks intact. I weigh 230 lbs and I can set the sag just fine at 160 lbs, but I notice that the shock is a bit wobbly and I have to pump it to 190-200 lbs to have the right platform. When I pay attention I do feel a difference in the different platform modes, but they are very subtle. I'm told that that at the hard position should feel like a lockout, although others tell me that may be a bit of an exageration. Not knowing how long the shock has actually been used, I was wondering what cues others have used to determine that its time to get the shock pushed or replaced. Thanks
I have determined that there is a slight difference on the climbs by the o ring travel indicator, I believe the three setting are mainly a placebo for a very cabable shock.
(and yes my RP3 does NOT lock out firm, just like my RLT)

That said, the shock works great on all 3 settings on the ups or downs, I used to forget to flick the switch a lot of times before the downs and ups to the appropriate position,
now I just put it in the middle and forget about it.

I think the proper amount/compromise of air pressure is the key to happiness with this shock, to much PSIs and you sacrifice the down hills, to little PSIs and you are over taxed on the way up but you find that happy medium of PSIs and forget about it.

Also I notices my RP3 leaks very little air out over the long term.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Cyclopod said:
By wobbly I meant that the rear suspension bounced to much. The sag was easy to set, but I didn't have a decent pedal platform unless I increased the pressure. You recommend sending it to Fox instead of Push?
PUSH will be a much better option for you. For someone outside the "normal" weight range, the custom tuning alone is worth it. But they can also tune the platform settings for a wider range so the "-" is plusher and the "+" is firmer. The middle setting is firmer pedalling than stock but still breaks away seamlessly on the trail. Add to that the separation of the rebound and compression circuits, better oil flow, separate high speed rebound circuit, improved seals, etc and it's a much better option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.