Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys that have been running Panaracer GK+ (Protite), when do you change them out??? I'm 210 lbs. kitted and do a lot of climbing and the file tread is gone from the back and the bald area is about 1/4" across. This is a 700cx38c.

I have a 63 mile ride this weekend and then an 86 mile fondo in two weeks and would like to change it out well in advance if needed. But I also don't want to change it prematurely.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I don't believe Panaracers have the holes in mold like Contis to show wear but file treads have been around my now 6+ decade life. You probably have plenty tread rubber left. IMO, that's a tire with a lot of life left.

My experience is the file tread doesn't do much if anything over grooves and knobs. It's never helped avoid flats from sharp stuff like grooves or knobs.

If you need non-paved climbing performance or just non-paved performance the Rene Hearse models are fantastic but expensive. Myself and associates who are a fan only have the endurance and endurance plus versions. Donnelley/Clement MSOs are great but haven't seemed very available and are not for weight weenies. My surprise or sort of a sleeper product for some knob and some speed with really good supple characteristics are Bontrager GR1. They do not have your back like a RH knobby, but are really nice for control beyond slicks and I can use them on road rides too. Trek is sincere about their 30 day satisfaction guarantee if you try them but my conclusion is I'd get them again and for sure relative to more expensive options.

I don't know your paved and unpaved mix in this. You have to decide but with choice I do the RH knobbies for mostly or much unpaved and more difficult surfaces, and don't feel the slightly knobbed GR1s hurt me on long mostly paved rides. At this point I'd only be interested slick or file tread tire for long road rides, keeping up with fast people but that's me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.