Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 bike with Race Face Ride XC Crankset with the X-type BB. I have been reading about how RF's BB's aren't great quality and don't last very long. How do I know when it's time to replace the BB? I have put on probably only 2000km on the bike so far.

*Edit* I am just about to change the cassette and chain (The front rings look to be alright but if my BB is wearing out I will replace the complete crankset)

·
Registered
183 Posts
No need to replace the entire crankset if the chainrings are fine. BB costs what $50 (not talking Oz retail prices here). After 2,000 kms you are probably due for a replacement BB but it really depends on what kind of terrain you are riding in - road/offroad/dry/wet/sandy etc the list goes on.

Hardly scientific but what I do is take off the BB and just use my finger to roll the bearing. You can tell a new vs used bearing. If it feels too rough/sticky I replace it. Simple.

I have heard people claim RF BB's are junk - not in my experience if they are looked after correctly. But they all wear out at some point so if you are not sure just replace it.

If you want to get fancy buy a ceramic BB. More expensive but less rolling resistance (how much actually benefits you is debateable) and supposed to last longer.

But save yourself some dough and keep the crankset.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
A simple check....

is all you need to do. First make sure the crank arm fixing bolts are tight. Then either with the bike in a stand or flip it over, grab both crank arms (not the pedals) and push on one and pull on the other alternately, hard. Feel any movement? If not your fine, if you feel any movement (it will be slight unless the bearings are totaly slopped out) then it's time to replace the bottom bracket. Don't get wound up about the reviews and other peoples problems with a product. I've had bottom brackets that were claimed to be bomb proof go south in as little as 1000km, and others that were supposed to be crap go for 3000km or more with no problem. As noted earlier it depends allot on you and how you ride.

Good Dirt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.