Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about picking up a FS xc/trail bike to fill a void in my lineup. I have some money now, but my budget will be much larger come December/January. So I was just wondering when people think the best time to buy is? New or Used, doesn't matter.

My thought is to wait until Winter when I've got more money to spend and maybe there are more 06' closeouts but the temptation is always there. Are the deals generally better later in the year after the new models come out? I

'd hate to wait too long and miss out on some great sales. Guess I should decide whether I'm building a frame or buying complete as well. Look forward to your opinions, especially those working in LBS'

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know, I'd think it's still pretty to sell '05s and '06's in 06, whereas they "seem" a bit older once 07 rolls along. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself to wait, that would be a first but it's a welcome change from convincing myself to buy (much easier in my opinion).

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I'd just buy. If I have the money for the bike I want I don't wait for sales. That'd mean I spent all that time waiting when I could have been riding it already. Saving a few bucks, but spending lots of time never was a fair trade in my opinion. Lifes to short.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
Some local shops in Chicago are doing sales around this time with the 07's coming in...Last year I got 20% off my Prophet (All 05's were 20% off in fact). A friend picked up an 06 Rush recently at 20% off as well....
Tony

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I'd wait until Fall/Winter to buy a bike I didn't need.

That said though... if I found the bike, I wouldn't necessarily not get it either. :)

JmZ

le0p said:
I've been thinking about picking up a FS xc/trail bike to fill a void in my lineup. I have some money now, but my budget will be much larger come December/January. So I was just wondering when people think the best time to buy is? New or Used, doesn't matter.

My thought is to wait until Winter when I've got more money to spend and maybe there are more 06' closeouts but the temptation is always there. Are the deals generally better later in the year after the new models come out? I

'd hate to wait too long and miss out on some great sales. Guess I should decide whether I'm building a frame or buying complete as well. Look forward to your opinions, especially those working in LBS'

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've been thinking about an Ironhorse MKIII for awhile. I checked one out early in the season and liked it but ended up not buying it. I've been riding a freeride bike and a hardtail SS all summer and while I love both, they just leave something to be desired when I want to just hop on the trail for some quick singletrack, or keep up with a group ride. Both require a whole lot of extra effort, which sometimes I just don't have to give with my hectic schedule and resulting low energy level.

Right now, I could spend around 1500$ which could get me an MKIII plus some minor necessary upgrades (stem/handlebars/pedals). If I wait 5-6 months, I'm looking at 3000$, which you can imagine opens up alot of options. Then again, I could just use the extra cash later on for upgrades, and I do loooove upgrades.

So while I don't NEED a bike this year, as I can surely get by with what I have, I think it's something I'm definitely going to get, it's just a matter of when. Getting one now just saves me months of staring at a brand new bike aching to ride it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.