Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the best and worst times of the year to purchase a MTB? What months have the tendency for sales and closeouts? When is a good deal likely to be sold out from the factory?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Pre- and Post-seasons. All the online retailers just had their major sales, and most local shops will sell that season's bikes near the end of fall, or early spring if they still have leftover inventory.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If your looking to buy a bike now, your looking a raise in price and lowering of component quality. At the shop I work at, we are starting to get all the new 09's. The weird thing is they raised all the prices of the 08's.

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scralatchtica824 said:
If your looking to buy a bike now, your looking a raise in price and lowering of component quality. At the shop I work at, we are starting to get all the new 09's. The weird thing is they raised all the prices of the 08's.
So why would that do that? Is it because of demand for the summer season? What 09 brands are you getting in now?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The value of the US dollar has been sliding off a cliff in recent years. Hence, higher prices for imports.

Having bought a bike last year, I noticed big price increases for 08s, with few or no upgrades - especially the big names. I'm not surprised at midyear price increases for 08s, given the continued decline of the dollar during the year. I'm surprised that Forge and some of the others have been able to hold the line on their prices.

I imagine the price increases will continue until the dollar strengthens.

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
balling said:
then spend 3times as much

i just got my kona stinky for 800 bucks.
perfect condition
I figured that's gonna be the case. It's been a while since I've had a bike and I'd like to support a good LBS in hopes they'll help me too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i did that on my first bike

then i learned **** that

Buy your parts from them, if they are the same prices
have them do the labor you are too lazy to do
buy your gear from them
buy that last minute stuff

thats what i do now.
im not paying more than i need to for hte bike

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
balling said:
i did that on my first bike

then i learned **** that

Buy your parts from them, if they are the same prices
have them do the labor you are too lazy to do
buy your gear from them
buy that last minute stuff

thats what i do now.
im not paying more than i need to for hte bike
well ya, they don't have shopping carts for a reason.

·
Derailleurless
9,119 Posts
Timing for the best discounts on the mid- and high-priced models can be tricky. There probably aren't a ton of the popular models sitting on the floor, and then it's a crapshoot whether the size you need is going to be available.

Like with cheap clothing on discount websites, it's no coincidence the best prices are on the XS and XXL in oddball colors.

There is an outfit in Reno called Bicycle Bananas that runs a website listing overstock that might be two or three years old. I've found a couple of good deals there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depending on how long you can wait I find the best time of year to buy is just after Chirstmas.

It is the middle of winter so sales are slow and everyone buys new bikes before Christmas (as presents) so sales are extra slow. Bike shops may not advertise cheaper prices at this time but more often than not you can talk them down a fair bit. Wait until early January and you should be able to get a good deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.