Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i bleed mine once a month because i'm a big guy running juicy 5s on a freeride hardtail, they get used a lot. once you get the process down, it's a trivial matter.

Get the avid bleed kit and toss out the DOT 5.1 (or sell it) and use Motul RBF-600, it's a DOT 4. It has a higher boiling point than Avid 5.1 and gives a firmer lever feel.

When the bleed syringes wear out (they will, fairly quickly too) go down to the farm supply store and pick up a similar syringe, they cost like a dollar a piece

·
541 Posts
AlexJK said:
i bleed mine once a month because i'm a big guy running juicy 5s on a freeride hardtail, they get used a lot. once you get the process down, it's a trivial matter.

Get the avid bleed kit and toss out the DOT 5.1 (or sell it) and use Motul RBF-600, it's a DOT 4. It has a higher boiling point than Avid 5.1 and gives a firmer lever feel.

When the bleed syringes wear out (they will, fairly quickly too) go down to the farm supply store and pick up a similar syringe, they cost like a dollar a piece
You are kidding right? 5.1 has a 70 degree higher boiling point than any of the other grades. Except 5.0. If you are experiencing that that much heat in the brake system you have an issue anyway.

BTW, it dosent matter the brand as much as the grade. Most of the brands all come from the same place anyway. The do change when you get into the "boutique" brands like Motul, Silkoline, Royal Purple and the such. But not very much.

The bottom line, dont try to re-engineer what you have and just maintain it and you will be fine. Remember two things.
1- the smartest people you will ever meet are on the web.
2- You will never know how hard you can push your equipment until you let someone else use it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A from Il said:
You are kidding right? 5.1 has a 70 degree higher boiling point than any of the other grades. Except 5.0. If you are experiencing that that much heat in the brake system you have an issue anyway.

BTW, it dosent matter the brand as much as the grade. Most of the brands all come from the same place anyway. The do change when you get into the "boutique" brands like Motul, Silkoline, Royal Purple and the such. But not very much.

The bottom line, dont try to re-engineer what you have and just maintain it and you will be fine. Remember two things.
1- the smartest people you will ever meet are on the web.
2- You will never know how hard you can push your equipment until you let someone else use it.
Nope, i'm not kidding, the one thats even better than Motul RBF600 is Castrol SRF ($70 a liter)

And i must be one of those people :p

http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5.1

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Really?

AlexJK said:

Your brakes fade and require bleeding every month? I'd return them. They're faulty.

How often to do you bleed the brakes in your car?

Use doesn't equal the need to bleed brakes. If your brakes are soft, meaning that the when you squeeze the levers they pull down to the handlebar and don't stop you effectively, it likely means that you have air in the system and require bleeding.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am new to bikes but you should really never have to bleed the brakes unless something went wrong causing air to enter the system. Now you can do a fluid change as a maintenance which I think once a year would be more than enough. As Ken said, think about your car. As for a firmer feel from one type over another are you suggesting that one liquid compresses more than another? Sounds more like a case of getting a proper adjustment in the mix while bleeding.

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
As others have said, once a year is plenty unless you have a problem. Once a month is silly and obsessive. I think I bled my Hopes a couple of years ago. No need to get all crazy 'bout it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
AlexJK said:
i am obsessive, i need better brakes for the crap i ride, my juicys aren't enough... it keeps them running just fine. i've NEVER had an issue with them
Can I ask, what is it that you are preventing? While the system is closed everything should be just fine. One a year is plenty, most people don't do their car that often yet the risks are much higher.

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
siwilliams said:
Can I ask, what is it that you are preventing? While the system is closed everything should be just fine. One a year is plenty, most people don't do their car that often yet the risks are much higher.
Why even once a year, or ever(unless system has been open):confused: Seriously

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
AlexJK said:
i am obsessive, i need better brakes for the crap i ride, my juicys aren't enough... it keeps them running just fine. i've NEVER had an issue with them
If you've never had an issue with them, why do you insist on opening them up and wasting fluid every month? Doing so does not make your brakes "better" or more powerful. It just makes them the most opened up brakes ever. Maybe you should try a larger rotor.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.