Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixing a flat while on a MTB ride is usually not a chore but been a while since I've changed a flat on road bike. Matter of fact the bike I used for the road I bought about four years ago and I've never had the opportunity to change a flat on it before. ( flat bar touring type bike with 700 x 23C tires )

I've been telling myself for years that I need to do a "test run" on changing a flat with that bike but never seemed to get around to it. Well today it happen and quite unexpectedly. First warm/dry weekend in a while, I'm all geared up ready to test some new GPS apps on my phone....Low and behold, the big F strikes.

I hadn't a clue what I ran over and my tire was freshly filled before leaving. I did have my flat kit along but since I was no more than a couple miles from home I decided to hoof it rather than take the chance I might have problems. As it was, it turned out to be the right call. I had everything I needed in my kit bag but one thing: my CO'2 device. :madman: I knew one day owning only "one" would come back to haunt me and sho'nuff it did. Such is the price you pay when you chose to shuffle bike gear between set-ups.

Anyway when I got home I took the tire off without too much problem. When I inspected the tire I found a piece of glass buried in the tire. Made quite a gash for something so small. Only a small piece ( size of a pin ) made it all the way through but that was enough. I cleaned the glass out of the tire and put everything back together.

Well I got my "fix-a-flat" run through. I actually used my CO2 set-up just to make sure that it was working just in case I needed to use it again. Afterwards I patched the tire. Thank God I wasn't out in the boonies when this happened. Walking long distances in cycling shoes is never fun.

To people who have a better half or a room mate who you can call to come to the rescue, "I envy you". I've never considered it before but I just might knock on my upstairs neighbors door ( who I've known for over 20 years ) and ask her if she might help me out when in a pinch ( locally ). I figure if I offer to pay gas and such that perhaps that might be the best way to go about it.

A final question: The gash in my tire sliced the tire about 2-3mm. While it didn't go all the way through I can't help but wonder...should I replace the tire? Advice anyone?

Oh, some parting advise of my own: "latex gloves", priceless when it comes time to messing with the chain when you have no place to wash up. :thumbsup:

·
GONE
25,586 Posts
I would replace the tire with a gash in it. The gash will eventually grow, it's a weak spot.

See if you can set up your rims for tubeless and go that route. It will basically eliminate flat tire issues. Even a 2-3mm gash would seal up with sealant inside the tire.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
Getting a flat and then finding out you don't have everything to fix it is the worst.
As far as the little gash in the tire, here's what I do. I'm cheap, so I just put a patch on the inside of the tire. Put about 3 app's of glue first, then the patch. Sure beats buying a new tire. I'm sure there are those who would toss it however.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Getting a flat and then finding out you don't have everything to fix it is the worst.
As far as the little gash in the tire, here's what I do. I'm cheap, so I just put a patch on the inside of the tire. Put about 3 app's of glue first, then the patch. Sure beats buying a new tire. I'm sure there are those who would toss it however.
Not sure it needs a patch inside the tire because the hole is only the size of a pin. The gash is is on the outer side. Like Hawg said the gash ( if not repaired ) could weaken the tire. I'm considering taking the tire off and applying some kind of glue / sealant to the gash. Not sure what to use but some products that come to mind are Gorilla Glue and either Flex Shot or Flex Seal. Then again the glue that comes in the old fashion Vulcanizing patch kits might work too. The less money spent the better. Advise on glue welcome as well.

If I have to get a new tire I'm thinking something like the Conti's Gator Hardshells.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the cut is just in the tread compound, but the casing is ok, then the tire is probably fine. If the cords (nylon or kevlar) in the casing look cut, I would ditch it.

I get lots of these little glass cuts in my road tires, usually they're no big deal. It's a good idea to check the tire once in a while and pick out any stuck fragments. They seem to get partially embedded in the tread compound, and are gradually pushed through during riding before they eventually get to the tube.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
I don't think gorilla glue will help, it turns to foam when it dries and lacks density. A dab of shoe goo might help prevent a tiny stone of piece of debris from finding it's way through in the same spot. I would still put a patch on the inside, as a back up/reinforcement.
The cut resistant tires can still go flat, at least one did on me. Small piece of glass made it through. It wasn't a Conti however, they make good tires.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think gorilla glue will help, it turns to foam when it dries and lacks density. A dab of shoe goo might help prevent a tiny stone of piece of debris from finding it's way through in the same spot. I would still put a patch on the inside, as a back up/reinforcement.
The cut resistant tires can still go flat, at least one did on me. Small piece of glass made it through. It wasn't a Conti however, they make good tires.
Tonight I got lucky and found the same replacement tire on-line. For $30+shipping it should be a go. I'd rather have the Conti's but those are $55 each and if I buy one I'll have to buy the second to match the other tire.

I took a ride today to try to find the place where I picked up the glass shard. Expecting to find more glass in the spot where I flatted I didn't see anything that remotely looked like glass. Oh well life goes on. The thing that bugs me the most is that the temperature yesterday was 60°F and today it was 40°F. Way too cold for a good bike ride ( at least for what I was wearing ). Should of wore the winter shoes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts