Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been running a set of Maxxis DHF and DHR2 for about a year now. As I've had the tires for awhile I've started wondering how soon they need replacement. I've heard various opinions on what features determine when a tire should be replaced, but nothing terribly concrete. I think it's about time to start tire shopping, but would like a second opinion on how soon I should be swapping on fresh rubber (I would prefer to get the max life out of my current tires).

So far neither tire has flatted, but the front tire does have a slow leak (loses 5-10psi or so over 24 hours). It's probably due to low sealant, I decided to not add more due to knowing that I would be replacing the tires relatively soon.

Thanks for any advice.

Here's the DHF:

And the DHR2:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
How are they working for you? Tires with knobs worn that much will behave differently than when new. Many riders would replace those to restore new performance. Another issue with those tires is they're more likely to fail. How tolerant are you of that increased risk?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'd like a definite "this is when you change your tire" as much as the next guy. But for "max life" I think it's more of a sliding scale:

on one end, you can be super frivolous and change out tires after one ride because you like fresh rubber and have money to burn. on the other end, you can ride until the tire disintegrates.

in the middle: one can lean towards the "racing/riding is my actual job, so I'd need new rubber more often than not" or one can lean towards "my tires are look like death but I'm gonna wait until a sale or for coupon code or whatever"

at the end of the day, new tire is new tire, and as soon as you ride on them, their performance starts to fade. judging by your pictures, no one would blame you if you got new tires, but no one would judge you if you kept riding on them

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Based on photos, I'd replace both immediately.

Center knobs on the DHF are fairly well worn, although surprisingly the side cornering knobs look ok. My wear pattern is opposite: my side knobs go long before my center knobs.

Undercutting of the rear DHR side knobs looks bad enough that I'd toss it.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
This tire looks to be in pretty poor shape to me:

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Rim Bicycle part Synthetic rubber

Like the knobs will soon rip off and start leaking sealant.

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
My general rule of thumb: When I notice a definite change in performance, I swap tires. Here in Phoenix, tires rarely live that long.

I'd say the tires in the photos have some life left, but not much. I'd be shopping.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,774 Posts
when a tire leaves my knee bleeding from smashing the bars as the tire just spins on my favorite steep root, it's gotta go

or

on my favorite slidy corner I end up eating ass, it's gotta go

otherwise run it, if it keeps you upright on the bike on the trails you ride

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There is a lot cracking, I would probably suggest changing because of that.

As for the slow leak. A small amount of sealant will seal a hole. Are you sure the sealant hasn't dried up? Probably not worth the worry though, since those amount of cracks probably aren't too safe.

I have 2 new tires in the garage and a worn out tire on the bike....full of bleed marks from sealant seeping through countless holes.

I suppose I should change it -and the tread on my tire seems to be a bit more worn than yours. I'm having difficult finding climbing traction on the conditions I ride. If your conditions are still tacky you could probably get away with the tread wear but they look unsafe to me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses, they have been very helpful. It seems like the tires are about ready to be replaced. Forest Rider - I would guess that the front tire's sealant has probably dried up. I haven't done anything to either wheel since the tires were mounted about a year ago. Strangely enough, the rear tire is still holding air great.

As far as how the tires work, I have been noticing the rear breaking loose pretty quickly during heavy braking. It sounds like a new rear tire would fix that. The cracking side knobs also seem to pose a slight safety issue.

For the front, I think the reason the side knobs aren't as worn is due to the trails I ride not having large, sweeping corners that promote significant leaning. I can't really say if front grip has worsened significantly over time - I think a tire that hooks up better at lesser lean angles would provide better traction for me (Assgai?). Either way, it sounds like it's about time to replace the front as well.

·
Cycologist
10,081 Posts
I think you have hit the point where I change my tires, when I start losing confidence in them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No clue where you live but around here (Phoenix) a year without fresh sealant would mean pumping up you tires before every ride.
I'm in Maryland - things are much more humind around here so I would guess stuff dries out slower. Optimally I would be topping off sealent every 6 months or so, but I switched sealent brands after mounting the tires and didn't want to mix brands. Even without topping up, both tires are still holding air no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
I change front tires when I lose confidence in them, when they start getting a little unpredictable when leaned over. Side knobs for me go first, and I'll go through a couple fronts per season. I'll often rotate the front to the rear since they're generally in decent shape from a knob height perspective. Tires are expensive, but way cheaper than a trip to the ER. I'd toss yours.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You asking is probably a good sign that you feel you need new tires.

If you want to breath a little life in, replace the front tire and run a little longer on the DHR2...then put the used DHF on the back and burn that one out too.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It's hot where I love too and my tires don't go flat daily when out of sealant.

Just broke down a tire (7 months old) to add sealant. i didn't know it was dry because.....well because my tire didn't go flat.

It would of course go flat if I um, had a puncture though.

No sealant isn't a guarantee for a flat tire in a couple days from sitting in a garage. Tire has been coated internally, the pores are pretty well sealed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
lot of guys will run a set 1-2 seasons depending on type of riding and miles, but then they will swap the front to rear and buy a new front. I usually swap both at same time every other year. I dont race and dant remember last time I flatted a tire

·
Registered
535 Posts
My general rule of thumb is, after I take them off and let them lay on the garage floor for a week, and only after tripping over them 4-5 times, and only then will I pick them up and throw them away......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.