Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to the "real" bike scene. I been slugging around on my old gimme Mongoose, patching it together and having a little fun riding a few trails here and there.
My nephew moved back to town. He is one of those cross training triathlon kind of guys. He has been asking me to ride with him and a couple of his friends in the canyon(s). Aside from fact I am 25 years older than him and his buddies I am about thirty pounds overweight. I am going to ride the Mongoose for now, I can use the extra work while I scout around for a better bike.
I would like an opinion on these bikes and their prices. My budget is 2 kids starting college.
Specialized Hard Rock 150.00 3-4 years old, no frills
Cannondale F300 335.00 26" w/disc brakes (this is the upper limit)
Diamondback Full suspension 100.00
Genesis V2100 100.00
Iron Horse Yakuza Disc brake 150.00
Schwinn 700c 175.00 NEW bike
1995 Fuji 100.00 this bike needs pedals tires and some other parts I couldn't see in the pic.
I don't know anymore about these bikes other than this.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Stay away from the Diamond Back,Genesis Fuji and maybe the Iron horse and Schwinn .The first two are no better than what you have.The second two most likely aren't either. Why don't ask your nephew or his buddy's to help you find a bike? Have you test rode any of them?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not necessarily limited to Craigslist. I just got a 2013 Specialized Camber with aftermarket carbon handlebars for $825. It was on a triathlon board where the guy found out he didn't like full suspension. Look all over, and if you don't mind paying shipping, you can use something like searchtempest to search all craigslist/ebay/amazon type sites.

John

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I think the price on the Cannondale represents the lower bound on bikes worth buying. Unless you bump into an incredible score, anyway.

Definitely get some help from your nephew.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I had a hard rock pro from 06 that I scored dirt cheap and rode that a while and liked it. That price isn't bad, that would be my pick if it was fully functional.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts