Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

when not confident to clear the obstacle, push or ride?

• Push!

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Ride!

Votes: 18 50.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as above, which one you do?
push, dont get injuried, always got chance to try again. but looking at it dont make u improve or learn from experience
ride, might get injuried. sometimes so badly that you cant ride for months. but feel great if you can clear.

·
beer is good for u
136 Posts
I'll ride all but the ones that I think are sub 25% chance of me clearing. As I see the obstacle more and more I'll gain motivation for it and eventually clear it after finding the best line "for me"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Depends whether I'm racing or riding. When I'm racing and find something I know I can't clear or something that I will have to go really slowly or paddle over, it's often quicker to jump off and run.
I've passed plenty of people on really steep hills by running with the bike and it gives the muscles a bit of a rest.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I will gladly push the bike to avoid injury. However, I practice hard to stay on the bike and, so far, I never had to push my bike through a technical section in a race. I wish I could say the same thing for pushing uphill (I race singlespeed). :)

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Your poll misses the degree of difficulty and injury...

I will always ride even if I am pretty certain I can't make it, as long as the result is not an injury.

I will always push even if I am pretty certain I can make it, if death is the result.

I will take more risks in a race with lots of people around or a group ride than if I am alone.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It totally depends on the circumstances for me.

Am I riding alone or with others who can help? If I'm alone, I'm far more likely to take the cautious approach.

What are the fall zones like? If a fall is going to result in sliding down a steep slope of rocks or off a significant ledge, I'm more likely to be cautious. If I'm going to land in some nice soft grass, well I'm going to give just about anything a shot.

Am I in the backcountry and not likely to have someone else come by soon, or am I in a crowded area where others will almost certainly be coming by soon?

Do I know the trail and tough feature so that I know the line to take, or is this my first time seeing it? If the latter, I am much more likely to be cautious and check it out on foot before riding it (or trying to ride it).

I've had a lot of these choices to make this week, riding alone in the backcountry on mostly technical trails that I don't know well (or at all). I've ridden probably 99% of the trails I've been on--with only a little pushing--but there have definitely been some sections I looked at and said no way. After pushing my bike through some sections, I'd say that in hindsight I could have probably ridden half of them, but the risk wasn't worth it since I was out there alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.