Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a float forx 04. At the end of my seasson (one month ago), the right leg started leaking more oil than the normal coated oil film at the stanchion. It doesn`t leak trough the leg it just enough oil to get the seal covered with oil and dust.

Looking at a seals replacement on the way, I buyed enduro seals (great guy to make bussines, Chris) , but haven`t install them yet, because the last 5 rides the right leg stopped leaking oil. I don`t know if the problem was solved ( if there was any problem) or it`s just that the oil at the foam ring dryes out and no more oil can come outside.

I`ll do an oil change in next days and wanted to know if it is convenient to replace the seals or wait a little more to see if the stock fox are OK.
I`m consulting you with this decission, because I live in a country where buying things trough internet is possible but a little expensive, so I have to take the most durable life of these babys.

Thanks a lot!
bye

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
You probaly leaked enough oil that your dampening is dry now. It is a good time to get an overhaul. Change the seals, change the oil, clean the inerds, check the bushings, check seal rings, yada yada yada. Even if there is plenty of oil and the oil dried up that would be bad. Dry oil does the fork no good.

Wyrm

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt that 155cc of oil...

wyrm said:
You probaly leaked enough oil that your dampening is dry now. It is a good time to get an overhaul. Change the seals, change the oil, clean the inerds, check the bushings, check seal rings, yada yada yada. Even if there is plenty of oil and the oil dried up that would be bad. Dry oil does the fork no good.

Wyrm
had drained trough one seal. Maybe 15cc as too much.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Read the post.....I said "enough". Fox oil volume has to be precise for it to work properly. Otherwise the dampening rod will not be full and you will have air in it or too much oil will cause hydrolic lockout. Just a little bit of air will make a huge difference. Besides if there is oil coming out and dirt/dust collecting there it is bound to be letting in the dirt; it is a two way street on that one. New seals is still my call.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
When you change the oil, replace the seals....

it's the best time to do it. Fox seals are not known for being the best in the industry and are prone to leak. So go ahead and replace them when you do your oil change. If you don't and the fork starts leaking again, you'll have to pull it apart and do it later anyway, and change the oil again etc. So you'll be saving yourself some time and effort.

Good Dirt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.