·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are talking Celcius here.

But my limits are
1. Riding -6C
2. XC skiing -22C,

It is -31C right now and getting colder.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
wednesday i did 1 hour in -26c... but it was not very windy... i have ridden in -35, but the cranks barely want to turn on the bike in that.

i ride in -10 to -20 all winter, no big deal. the part that sucks is getting dressed, takes longer than the riding.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
shifting mech will stop working around -30c to-35c. especially if its snowing or on the road.

other than that i can go much lower. been riding in -10c pass couple of days(see blog for pics).

·
Registered
544 Posts
-12 this morning, just finished 3hr. The Temp hasn't climbed over -6 for the last week, and I have managed to get out for my normal ride schedule. I use studded tires and have the clothing pretty dialed. The biggest pain for me is keeping my bottle from freezing.

I'll wear a camelback under my jacket for anything over 3hr, and for rides 3hr or less I'll use a bottle.. which usually ends up under my jacket as well.

Good gloves and those toe warmer heat packs are essentials for me. On rides over 3hr I'll take an extra pack and reload the boots at about 2hrs.

Save the harder work for last, so I don't find myself slowing down when I'm wet (sweat).

Tomorrow is Winter Solstice!!! Ya Baby, gonna get lighter with every day!

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
perryr said:
-12 this morning, just finished 3hr. The Temp hasn't climbed over -6 for the last week, and I have managed to get out for my normal ride schedule. I use studded tires and have the clothing pretty dialed. The biggest pain for me is keeping my bottle from freezing.

I'll wear a camelback under my jacket for anything over 3hr, and for rides 3hr or less I'll use a bottle.. which usually ends up under my jacket as well.

Good gloves and those toe warmer heat packs are essentials for me. On rides over 3hr I'll take an extra pack and reload the boots at about 2hrs.

Save the harder work for last, so I don't find myself slowing down when I'm wet (sweat).

Tomorrow is Winter Solstice!!! Ya Baby, gonna get lighter with every day!
The toe warmers are the ticket. I can manage everything but my feet. I find it really hard to keep them warm. I know people who are really serious about winter riding loose the clippless pedals, but I am not prepared to do that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It depends where you live.

Living in the high desert, the few days a year when the temp is only getting just above freezing, I'll take the day off, maybe go to the gym. (I'll comute before sunrise with the temp to about -5C).

Just like rain too. When I lived in texas I would often ride in the rain. It would drizzle there for weeks on end. Here, I'll put my feet up or go to the gym.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
OilcanRacer said:
shifting mech will stop working around -30c to-35c. especially if its snowing or on the road.

other than that i can go much lower. been riding in -10c pass couple of days(see blog for pics).
I live just 45 miles north of Mr. Oil Can here, and I spent the day skate skiing ( 1 hour) and on the rollers (2 hours). Skate skiing on 4" of fluff in blizzard conditions is pretty hard work.

I'm just too wimpy to ride outside in this weather.

Anyways, another question (for you skate skiers). How do you integrate skate skiing in relation to bike training?

I was scheduled for 1 hour of tempo today, and even though the skating was pretty tough (had to stop several times, due to gassing out on big hills),...I still went home and did not skimp out from the tempo work. I was tempted to though.

How does intensity during skating mix with intensity on the bike?. (that's if you're doing intensity on the bike). Where I live, the skating is not flat. I wish it was sometimes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
freezing is the road limit for me here in the midwest. in part because that's when the trails freeze and are solid to ride on! :thumbsup:

off road, maybe 20f. that's when it just gets brutal. i'm a weenie, really. i'll just do a hard workout on the trainer at that point.

·
Registered
544 Posts
LMN said:
The toe warmers are the ticket. I can manage everything but my feet. I find it really hard to keep them warm. I know people who are really serious about winter riding loose the clippless pedals, but I am not prepared to do that.
I use Lake winter boots (clipless). I put a shoe cover over them too. I will put a toe warmer on the top of my toes, and sometimes will tuck one under the shoe cover at the front of the shoe as well. I burn through tons of those warmers.. buy em in bulk, typically about a $1/pair.

The Lake boots have a thick wool insole and insulated top and uppers. They are a bit heavy and flex more then a good shoe, but they definitely work and make winter riding much more bearable.. especially for longer rides.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
Poncharelli,

you will skate ski but not bike? i wear just about the same gear to do both. other than slippin and sliding on the bike its not much different cold wise. but it is safer.

"How does intensity during skating mix with intensity on the bike?. (that's if you're doing intensity on the bike). Where I live, the skating is not flat. I wish it was sometimes."

to me, i think that you can get and do the same kind of fitness workout on these kind of skis. you can even strap your bike comp. to your wrist and measure HR.

the difference is in muscle groups and how you are working them. also sinergy comes into play here. you will lose some bike technique if you don't ride at all during the winter.

all that said, it is one of the best workouts you can do right behind long track ice skating if you can't get on a bike.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Californian visiting Canada

We drove through blizzards in the Cascades to get to Victoria last night. Today was "between storms" so I got out in -6C. It kept me busy with no snow/ice skills and I felt the stress but did okay. Not much wind inland but not nice by the water.
Last Sunday my team did a ride in 20 mph wind and rain at 35º and that was nasty. This was far more pleasant but I had to work to b safe. It gave me a new respect for you guys who do this all the time. I will definitely get out at the very next opportunity as this just builds up my experience.

·
Registered
832 Posts
For a 2 hour ride my limit is -15C, for a 1 hour ride my limit is -20C. I also commute to work year round and have no limit. My coldest ever ride to work was 5km at -38C.

Feet are my limiting factor. I wear the Exustar winter boot from MEC, a base layer sock, a wool sock and booties.

·
Registered
738 Posts
i'm a wimp

Poncharelli said:
I live just 45 miles north of Mr. Oil Can here, and I spent the day skate skiing ( 1 hour) and on the rollers (2 hours). Skate skiing on 4" of fluff in blizzard conditions is pretty hard work.

I'm just too wimpy to ride outside in this weather.

Anyways, another question (for you skate skiers). How do you integrate skate skiing in relation to bike training?

I was scheduled for 1 hour of tempo today, and even though the skating was pretty tough (had to stop several times, due to gassing out on big hills),...I still went home and did not skimp out from the tempo work. I was tempted to though.

How does intensity during skating mix with intensity on the bike?. (that's if you're doing intensity on the bike). Where I live, the skating is not flat. I wish it was sometimes.
We average 180 in of snow here--so it is indoor trainer and outdoor xc skiing for me from dec-march. I used to commute some in the winter, but had 1 too many crashes on icey pavement.

It is difficult to be rigorous about training zones when transitioning to skate skiing for me because skate skiing seems to require some minimum level of effort to keep going and this spikes on the hills. It is much easier to keep in a zone while classic style skiing, just not as fun because of the speed difference. I guess if I had to try, I would wear a heart rate moniter and figure my max for skate skiiing and work the zones from there. The alternative is to do a 1 hr skate ski time trial and figure the average heart rate is close to LT for skiing.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Here in the NC mtns, its been warm but raining for almost 2 weeks. Then, and if its too cold(high 20s?). its the trainer(usually while playing Xbox. keeps me on it for 2-3 hours) or hiking. I'm surrounded my tons of trails being only 2.5 miles thru the woods to the Appalachian trail.

Yesterday was the first window of 'no rain' I've had in forever. Still rode the last hour in a down pour. Oh well.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
COld

Just hit -15C today I think that's about my limit for a bike. Any colder and I would be ice climbing or snowshoeing.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
On the road I can survive a couple of hours at close to 0C. Off road I can survive to about -5C, but generally I hate riding outdoor in the winter because I sweat and get very cold.

But I downhill ski in all kinds of brutal temperatures and all kinds of snow conditions. Today was a rare powder day in Ontario. Yum!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.