Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mojo0115
1,667 Posts
slprod said:
to make a frame that has 6.5" / 7 " 's of travel? Man you would think it would be the missing link in the line up!!! Any interest here?
loads of interest.... from Ibis owners. Whether there is a bigger market or whether the Ibis guys think they would/could/might do a more FR oriented bike - now that is the million dollar question.

There is a thread floating around with a photochop mock-up of a Ibis Mojo-like bike along these lines.

·
Guesswho117
254 Posts
I don't see it happening. There's just isn't that big of a demand for a 6.5"-7" travel bike. The engineering and design not to mention the molds to build a bike like that would not be cost effective. The Mojo itself is already pretty pricey. Could you imagine what they would have to charge for a 7" travel bike. Stick with the bread and butter.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ibis' graphic designer has said that they are working on a 7" bike.. Chuck has said they are working on a long travel bike.

DW has said that " you can bet the guys at Ibis are working on something"

All we can do it wait.

I think the Mojo is a BARGAIN at the moment, dramatically lighter, and carbon, and georgeous, for not a lot more than an otherwise similar Pivot or Turner :)

I just hope news of the 7" bike filters through before I weaken and buy a Pivot Firebird !!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It is more likely I suspect that further aftermarket parts may come out of the Lopes Ibis partnership.

Possibly the beefier rear triangle for example. I've owned loads of 6" plus bikes and have come to the conclusion that unless free riding is your thing, then they are a bit pointless.

What many people are after though, is the geometry of a 6" bike. I have come to the conclusing that this make by far the most difference...more than vpp dw, moto link blah blah blah. So, possibly being able to run the Mojo at 67 is degrees with a 160mm fork may very well be all thats required.

Worse single track handling, higher BB's, more weight, pedalling efficiency reduced.

I don't see many pixx posted of riders maxxing out the capabilities of their Mojos, and therefore I don't see many riders that need the extra travel. 5-6 inches well implemented is where its at for me... I have a 9.25" DH riig for everything else

·
Registered
557 Posts
I don't know why there is the undercurrent from so many people that Ibis are incapable of building a bigger bike, or that it is not needed, or that it will not be strong enough?
None of these ideas are supportable.

The biggest hurdle Ibis had was to ensure that a bike of their design could be built strong and light enough, and they succeeded. Some people have damaged Mojos but they are by no means weaker than their alloy opposition.

They have built three other frames now, the CX bike, the Silk and now the Tranny is coming on stream.

They know how to build very different bikes in their unique way, so it is simply when they have the time and capacity, and whether it is a good business decision.

I suspect their break even point is set at a much lower number than the Giants and Treks of this world..so they might weather the current storm better than the very large guys with their huge lead times and massive production runs.

A little comparitive maths shows that Ibis could build a 6.5" Nomad/Sanction/RFX/Firebird bike for less weight than the normal alloy 5.5" BlurLT/5Spot etc etc

If Ibis build a 6.5" bike to the same weight as an alloy frame it would be incredibly strong.

Personally I am hoping they build something to the alloy weight and with the approximate geometry of the IH 7 point..180mm each end.

:)

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
nzl62 said:
....What many people are after though, is the geometry of a 6" bike. I have come to the conclusing that this make by far the most difference...more than vpp dw, moto link blah blah blah. So, possibly being able to run the Mojo at 67 is degrees with a 160mm fork may very well be all thats required. ...
Here's a way to get there now with the Mojo and similar long travel XC geometry bikes which are stout enough to use a 160mm travel fork, such as the 5 Spot or others with 69 degree head angle and low BB height using a 140mm travel fork.

With the 160/36 forks available today the Mojo head angle goes to just under 68 degrees and BB to about 13.6" with 2.3 tires.

Changing to a 650b front wheel in a 160 fork raises the front another half inch to a 67.5' head angle, BB to about 13.8". The larger wheel adds steering trail like raising the fork crown 1/2 inch and with a 160 fork effectively equals the same steering response as a 26" wheel with 67 degree head angle, except the 650b rolls and grips better and hits bumps smoother.

The Panaracer manufactured Pacenti Neo-Moto 650b x 2.3 is single wall casing but not thin, not sure but probably about 65 thread count, and only 730 grams. It's fairly low profile and doesn't side roll with the same air pressures as much as a single wall 26 x 2.3 with the same or very similar casing (Panracer Rampage). I've ridden some of the roughest volcanic rock trails in the southwest US with these tires and the sidewalls have held up very well with no cuts ( I hope I didn't just jinx myself! ).

·
boba
133 Posts
Ibis FreeRide/All Mountain

For what it is worth, my Ibis was laid up with a fork issue recently, and a buddy lent me his 36lb. brand new Giant 'Reigh X". This has Nevegal tires, a coil Fox shock, with stable platform and the Giant, so called "virtual pivot suspension". While I thanked him profusely and told him how nice it was, I was thoroughly UNIMPRESSED. The rear suspension has 6.7inch of travel with a Fox 36 on the front. The back of the bike bobbed like crazy on the long climb and on a very technical downhill West Coast trail, it sucked all my enerGy on the soft bottoms of the whoopdedos....Compared to my Ibis which is 28.5lbs it was a pig. I realize that the extra 8lbs is huge, but the rear suspension was a disappointment.

So, If Ibis made a 6.5inch travel, 32 1/2 lb bike with a 67 or 66.5 head ange, and a high bottom bracket, which could be peddled nearly as well as my 5.5inch 28.5lb bike, it would be a winner all round and attract a lot of people who want to climb the steep climbs but fly on the downhill rough stuff,

bob, comox.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I'm happy with my 650B Ibis Mojo, the same as Derby is with his. The only thing I would like to see Ibis produce currently is a slightly longer swingarm to take a decent size 650B tire with adequate clearance for mud, etc..
For me, this would make the Mojo just about perfect... :thumbsup:
As it stands, the Mojo is enough for me with it's 5" of travel. There is nothing I can't ride with it.

Rainman.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.