Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 193 Posts
The 800lb gorilla though is all the land managers and municipalities that refuse to try and accommodate any kind of challenging riding. It leads to a lot of the illegal trails. And then you get into the argument about should you just build said trails and hope they get incorporated one day, or not build the trails and just "enjoy" the flat stuff, or just move to someplace where "they actually get it", like WA state?
All true, but it was a decades-long slog to get where we are, and while there was a lot of hard work, strategy and coalition-building, there was also a decent amount of luck and good timing. We're now at the point where our community can apply a lot of pressure both politically and from a PR standpoint, but at the end of the day the land managers really do hold all the cards even in WA. And all the yahoos moving up here thinking they can just build whatever the hell they want anywhere they want (and no sh*t, I'm talking about poaching in the middle of Duthie) aren't doing any of the rest of us any favors.

I've also been building both unauthorized and legal trails for a long time, and while I'm glad that I don't have to hide in the bushes at night with a chainsaw anymore I still put a lot of time into understanding the context I'm working in before putting a shovel in the dirt.

speaking of reading comprehension, i simply said i've lost spots due to others complaining for no real reason. you quoted me and said it wasn't true...
Of course that happens. But no one in this thread was advocating tearing the feature out, and even suggestions of modifying it were dismissed from what I read. The point was what would be some ideas that might make it less potentially hazardous WITHOUT getting it torn out. Pretty much the opposite of being 'against it' or 'trying to ruin things for everyone else'.

Of course that happens. But no one in this thread was advocating tearing the feature out, and even suggestions of modifying it were dismissed from what I read. The point was what would be some ideas that might make it less potentially hazardous WITHOUT getting it torn out. Pretty much the opposite of being 'against it'.
i guess the joke is on me. i can see now that you're just talking to yourself and quoting me is just a coincidental byproduct of that. what you are saying has zero to do with anything i said other than the fact that we are both speaking english...

I rode some trails in OR and they had signs that just said "Feature" on them. The features were off to the side of the main line though and all of the trails are fully sanctioned. I think a "Feature" or "Gap" sign gets the point across to check it out before riding without scaring other people like a "danger" or "caution" might.

If you cared you would make a nice sign out of local wood instead of buying some chinese made plastic sign from the hardware store. Nobody wants to see that in the forest. Could be defined as littering by some.

Discussion starter · #179 ·
everyone here knows they also need the plank....

in all seriousness, if your picture actually had the landing in it, instead of just the logs used to make the fringe edge, i'd consider their thoughts about its build quality. i'm just super glad you don't live anywhere around me and our trails...

161 - 180 of 193 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.