Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 193 Posts
At what point am I on a crusade?

...even if I do absolutely nothing at this point it sounds like they don't have much longer to live because the land manager is already involved.
Within 11hrs of posting your question you said this, "I've heard on the grapevine that the rec manager is already sniffing around, so this might have been an entirely moot post."

Within 18hrs now you're saying the manager is already involved?

Sounds like you'd already raised a stink about it and came here looking for people to validate your decision

Discussion starter · #142 ·
Within 11hrs of posting your question you said this, "I've heard on the grapevine that the rec manager is already sniffing around, so this might have been an entirely moot post."

Within 18hrs now you're saying the manager is already involved?

Sounds like you'd already raised a stink about it and came here looking for people to validate your decision
I rode the trail at 6.30pm yesterday, came home and posted my question on here a little later. The whole point of asking here was that I wanted the thoughts of those with more experience in these matters than I. I did however just have to grab something from the hardware store, so I picked up two "CAUTION" signs whilst I was there.

Darwinism. We don't need to coddle morons.
We're not coddling you, we're explaining how trails work.

What do you think happens when the town gets a call from the lawyer of the family whose clueless kid ended up in the ICU because he wasn't up to the level of riding you seem to think every kid operates at? I'll give you one guess...

Discussion starter · #145 ·
Those against this feature because they're worried about kids need to watch vids of groms these days. Last time I was in St Geore I saw a kid being shuttle by his dad riding Kong solo. There's a vid of a 10 year old riding PG in laguna. Many of you need to realize the kids you're worried about probably ride better than you. This feature looks well built. I say well done trail builder. Keep up the good work!
Like I've said over and over again, I'm not worried about the kids who are building these trails. The one I met last year was throwing his $7000 bike around the pump track like a pro. My boys also mentioned they saw him at the mountain in the winter throwing backflips in the terrain park, he's got skills and I'm assuming the kids he rides with do too.

My concern is that this one feature is so out of place that no one would ever think it would exist, and it comes as a complete surprise.

Many have posted about always sighting a new trail, and I practice this with my sons. Pre-ride, re-ride, free-ride, but a non-MTB kid, out exploring these trails in what is effectively his local park, no idea about features or b-lines, could very easily find themselves heading off a cliff.

We're not coddling you, we're explaining how trails work.

What do you think happens when the town gets a call from the lawyer of the family whose clueless kid ended up in the ICU because he wasn't up to the level of riding you seem to think every kid operates at? I'll give you one guess...
When you just ride something because you saw someone else do it when you don't know what you're doing that's darwinism. We live in a litigious country. People sue over hot coffee. I expect every town trail to devolve into a dirt sidewalk to reduce lawsuits. That's just where MTB is these days. it's sad. I'm not arguing against your point, I'm arguing that features like pictured are a fundamental part of mountain biking. Mountain bikers have always built features, and they always will. Helicopter parents like the OP should explain MTB to their kids. If it's too dangerous for their kids there are other sports they can play that are much more structured with a guaranteed field of play. MTB has always been an individual sport where the rider decides what they can ride and the field is always dynamic. We've all seen random janky ass built whatever pop up here and there. Sometimes you get a good builder that makes a nice feature like pictured, other times you get a jump that will buck you to the hospital. That's mountain biking.

Discussion starter · #147 ·
When you just ride something because you saw someone else do it when you don't know what your doing that's darwinism. We live in a litigious country. People sue over hot coffee. I expect every town trail to devolve into a dirt sidewalk to reduce lawsuits. That's just where MTB is these days. it's sad. I'm not arguing against your point, I'm arguing that features like pictured are a fundamental part of mountain biking. Mountain bikers have always built features, and they always will. Helicopter parents like the OP should explain MTB to their kids. If it's too dangerous for their kids there are other sports they can play that are much more structured with a guaranteed field of play. MTB has always been an individual sport where the rider decides what they can ride and the field is always dynamic. We've all seen random janky ass built whatever pop up here and there. Sometimes you get a good builder that makes a nice feature like pictured, other times you get a jump that will buck you to the hospital. That's mountain biking.
As soon as you reference "hot coffee" and "lawsuit" you lose all credibility. Read up on that case and then come back here and try again!

you obviously don't dig except likely in publicly approved places where moms vote if it's safe or not...
You obviously don't know me.
There are places/trails where higher level lines/features make sense, and there are places where they don't. In the middle of the local park, completely out of character with the rest of the trail, with no warning or decent sight line is probably in the 'don't' category.

Not really a hard concept to grasp, at least one would think.

Helicopter parents like the OP should explain MTB to their kids. If it's too dangerous for their kids there are other sports they can play that are much more structured with a guaranteed field of play.
Nothing like completely ignoring everything the OP has written and just throwing around insults based on **** you've made up. Frigging internet hardos. :rolleyes:

not sure what that has to do with you thinking that people don't complain just to complain...
I have no idea what your point is.

Nobody here said anything about being 'against this feature'.
Slimat made that up.
OP has said the opposite numerous times, a bunch of you apparently can't read for ****.

If I'm wrong, please point me at the post where that happened and I'll happily apologize.
Or maybe it's not me that's wrong...

Nothing like completely ignoring everything the OP has written and just throwing around insults based on **** you've made up. Frigging internet hardos. :rolleyes:
So a guy worried about a VERY unlikely case of someone plummeting off a medium sized drop that he himself saw in time to stop and check out isn't being overly cautious for kids safety? Sounds like a helicopter parent to me.

I have no idea what your point is.

Nobody here said anything about being 'against this feature'.
Slimat made that up.
put down the crack pipe my dude...

i can't even count the trails and jumps we've had destroyed because some outside gaper came wandering along and thought 'wow, these are dangerous, i'm gonna have them torn down to make myself feel good' when there was no real danger to begin with...
"wow, these are dangerous, i'm gonna have them torn down to make myself feel good'
Said nobody.
this thread is 100% about it and you are participating, so said at least somebody...

this thread is 100% about it and you are participating, so said at least somebody...
Please show me where people in this thread were coming out against this particular feature, as slimat said they were.

Everyone who actually bothered to read what was written has simply been talking about recommendations on ways to maybe make it relatively safer WITHOUT causing it to be torn out.

So a guy worried about a VERY unlikely case of someone plummeting off a medium sized drop that he himself saw in time to stop and check out isn't being overly cautious for kids safety? Sounds like a helicopter parent to me.
I think he had a reasonable point.
Does that make me a 'helicopter parent' too? :ROFLMAO:

What did your kids do today?

141 - 160 of 193 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.