Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have built a few sets of wheels, thought I was proficient at it. I am not fast at building but the wheels have all been laced correctly, tensioned evenly, true, and have had good longevity.

I’m currently building a new set of wheels (DT 350 j-bend hubs on EX511 rims), and before I ever rode, installed, or even tensioned the wheels, I realized I messed one minor thing up with the lacing. On the drive side of the front wheel, I had leading spokes with elbows in and vice versa. I prefer to build with all sides of all wheels having leading spokes with elbows out, except for the rear drive side, to account for the stresses spokes see from their respective rotors and cassette. I realize this probably isn’t a big deal on the front drive side because there is no rotor or cassette, but I like to be consistent between wheel builds, and if anything, that side of that wheel could be seeing some force from the rotor.

I understand that once a hub is built with some lacing, you need to continue to use that lacing for the life of the hub because the spoke heads bed into the hub flange holes. My question is WHEN does this happen? Does the bedding happen as soon as the wheel is laced? When it is tensioned? When it is ridden?

I ask because I have gone back to correct my mistake to re-lace the drive side of the front wheel to have leading spokes elbows out, but I do see some wear on the hub flange holes I am not sure if this is just scraping to the surface finish, or if the spoke heads have bed into the hub flange holes already just from having being laced (never ridden or tensioned).

I have re-laced with my preferred method, and I am having trouble getting some spokes to reach the nipples, so I am wondering if perhaps the hub flange holes are already worn into the lacing style I used originally. I loosened all spokes before re-lacing, and have tried all sorts of wiggling the hub, squeezing the spokes, etc…

So, any tips or tricks? Have my spoke heads already bed into the hub flanges just from lacing? If they have, should I go back to how I originally had the lacing?

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you have not ridden the wheel it will not matter IMO.

Are the other spoke still tensioned? That might make it difficult to get the spokes started in the nipples. Otherwise, if an "head-in" spoke was moved to "head-out" position, after that spoke had been previously tensioned, then it might be difficult to start as well, as those spokes deform a bit when tensioned.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spokes bed in during tensioning. I wouldn't worry about which spokes are leading or pulling or whatever, it really doesn't matter.
Yea, I think my obsessive attention to detail got the better of me on this one. I am going to re-lace the way I had it originally, seems like the spoke heads may have bed in that way at least a little. Big waste of time.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Spokes bed in during tensioning. I wouldn't worry about which spokes are leading or pulling or whatever, it really doesn't matter.
Man, head in/out lead, or trailing spoke was all the rage on these boards 20 years ago. Shimano, Dt Swiss, pro builders, all picked a side and were dicks about it (dated reference). Turns out, it does not matter.

Could be the hole got bigger but I am more betting on you switching elbow angles. Especially if you don't bent the head in spoke around the flange at the base.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I got all wound up about trailing/leading heads in/out when I originally did my wheel building research a few years ago. Decided to use the DT method and be a dick about it. I ended up re-lacing again today with the front drive side leading spokes heads-out (how I originally had it and usually do opposite), and it all worked out. Seemed the spokes just wanted to sit that way since I originally laced that way. Anyway, done with the wheel and moving on with my build. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.