Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Just curious as to when others stopped taking their dogs on rides. I have a 4 1/2 year oold German Shepherd / Lab. Jus this year for the first time i've seen a little slow down in her trail work. SHe's never been an overly energenitc girl, but i've noticed just a tad bit less spunk this year. She still keeps up just fine, but towards the end of faster rides, she seems pretty wiped.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They will start to slow down right around now. But if keep her conditioning up she should be good for a couple of more years. As she gets older you will have to tailor you rides to her speed. Ride more techy slow trials in lieu of the down hills, if possible.

Our last lab went to 9 years before I took her off the trails full time. However, the 5 year old Vizsla doesn’t look she is slowing down at all but she has learned to pace herself.

It is a truly sad day when you can’t ride with your friend anymore

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rez said:
They will start to slow down right around now. But if keep her conditioning up she should be good for a couple of more years. As she gets older you will have to tailor you rides to her speed. Ride more techy slow trials in lieu of the down hills, if possible.

Our last lab went to 9 years before I took her off the trails full time. However, the 5 year old Vizsla doesn't look she is slowing down at all but she has learned to pace herself.

It is a truly sad day when you can't ride with your friend anymore
That's about what i figured. It is so sad to see them slow down. Though, at least they find contentment in lounging around more often.

·
don't thread on me
429 Posts
Princess retired from serious long distance trail work in 2005. We are very fortunate that she is still in great health and still loves to go on walks and short trail rides. Just like her owners, she doesn't have the endurance she used to have. ;)

She will be 11 on 7-15-2008

Dog breed Grass Dog Vertebrate Mammal

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Ive got a Chessie chomping at the bit to ride with me, I started riding with her at just around 1 year old, now shes two and a half. . . cant take her out while im in the desert summer (AZ). . . snakes and the fact that her wool sweater doesnt take too nicely to 115 plus heat. . . Shes made it on some good 30 mile rides with me, gotta stop obviously for water and such. . . but I've still never seen her tired, she'll get home and want to play fetch right away. . .

·
ride the moment
1,060 Posts
There's a dog thread in the beginner forum right now and one dude's 14 year old sheep dog is still ragin' it. Just out of curiosity how much does your girl weigh Jwind? It seems the larger dogs slow down a little earlier than the smaller dogs. My friend has a 90 lb German Short-haired pointer who used to rally but now he's 6 and pretty slow. On the other hand there is an 8 year old heeler mix that is still as fast as my three year old dalmation/pit bull, but both dogs are under 50 lbs. I imagine the running is tough on larger dogs joints.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
My Jack Russell was good until she got to be 5 or 6 - I really think she got lazy rather than tired. She still goes out with us behind our house, but she doesn't like doing more than a few miles before she makes the decision to head home.

The last real ride we brought her on I carried her more than she walked, she was just getting slower and slower. Ok, maybe I made her lazy :D I think she would be perfectly happy running for a few miles and being carried the rest of the way - she really didn't seem to mind sitting in my lap while I rode... and yes I'm sure that looked pretty funny.

John

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ya, big dogs slow down quicker, no questions there. Kayden is close to 100 pounds. She's a big girl. Slender and muscley. But still, that's alot of weight to drag around. I just got back from a ride with her. It was about 1:20, but with minimal stopping. She's pretty toast right now. It's not excessively hot here right now , maybe 80 but the humidity is creeping up. seems that the heat has alot to do with her energy these days.

On the bright side, it's a lot easier to tired her out now :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
They will let you know when it is time to retire. When they start having a hard time the day after it is best to retire them from the trail.

And yes is sad when you can not take your best freind with you. It is even hard the first time you go ride a familiar trail for the first time without them.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Our Border Collie ran trail with us into his 12th year, and that was a stretch. He's 14 now and still healthy, but his running days are done.
Took him quite awhile to get over us loading the bikes and leaving him behind. That was sad, but he's (mostly)good with it now.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
My Randall is ten this month, sure he's slower than in the past but he'll still go all day. He's a 55 pound mutt that roughly resembles a German Shepherd.
BlackCanoeDog said:
Took him quite awhile to get over us loading the bikes and leaving him behind.
The future sucks.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Lua (Ridgeback mix) went on rides with me up until she was around 9... She still goes on a 4 to 8 mile run with me every other day however. She's the only reason I enjoy running..
Here she is during a run in Sun Valley last week. She does pretty well for a 12 year old...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.