Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to train hard and have to admit I'm competitive, very competitive, but lately I've been on the trails and some women MTB'ers have cruised by us. Not just gradually passing us but smoking us. I know I'm new to the sport but where did they come from. I remember growing up and maybe once or twice there was a girl who might have ventured out on her brothers bike. Not that often. Anyway I'm riding with a couple of friends and their wives this Saturday and I know both wives race. Gonna be interesting.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Don't think of them as women.... think of them as mountain bikers. I race expert and I still get smoked by some women. They are hella-fast!! Watch out most of them are very quick witted too. Oh and good luck this weekend. Just put the ego at the door and enjoy the ride (and learn from them!)

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Girls tend to have better balance than guys. Plus they don't have extra muscle weighing them down. I'd say for mountain biking they're lucky. Although they will have a harder time getting as stong as guys because of genetics...

**Please don't flame me... ***

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Doesn't it go to show that just when you think your good you find some other rider that makes you look weak. For some reason it just hurts more when it's a chick. There are many chicks in my area who can blow by me up and down the mtn. As long as I'm not the slowest one in the group I'm fine getting passed. Besides the view from the rear is usually worth it.

·
Bandolero
1,566 Posts
Kudzu said:
mtn biking is easy...even a caveman can do it :D

Maybe you should ask in the Womens Forum :thumbsup:
thats some funny sh!t.:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't really take note on whether its a girl or guy thats burning me. Getting blown up is getting blown up. I'd say the mentality of "girls are slower" is obsolete to the point of being humerous.

It's all a factor of skill and practice, not what you have hanging between your legs.:p

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Lucky 7 said:
I'd say the mentality of "girls are slower" is obsolete to the point of being humerous.
I totally agree. Here in Colorado there are SO many world class atheletes, both men and women. I get schooled by so many women, the only reason I notice their gender is because I'm admiring the view as they fly into the distance :ihih:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thats one thing I like about running. You don't have to be the best to be better than almost all the women in the world. :p

I remember getting beat by female twins (two of the best in the state) my first season racing cross country. I said to myself, enough of that... ;)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
When did women get so good?

They've been ALWAYS so good... in many respects.

As someone said, maybe you just discovered it.

Oh... and remember they have a higher pain threshold.... so they're prepared to suffer if the need arises.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Well... here's my view on this.

For us male, there is a great diversity in how we get to the sport. And there are lot's of different skills level among males in mountain biking.

For women, I feel it's a on-or-off thing. Either they start riding just because their SO pestered them to come along, get tired and never even look at a bike afterwards, or get into the sport with a very passionate soul and are amazing at it.

·
Dented n' Spent
185 Posts
Minjin said:
Thats one thing I like about running. You don't have to be the best to be better than almost all the women in the world. :p

I remember getting beat by female twins (two of the best in the state) my first season racing cross country. I said to myself, enough of that... ;)
Hilarious! I was sure the first post had to be a troll. Now I think it's a conspiracy!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.