Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
gkler said:
I just looked at the S/C website and realized that the Nomad has new geo numbers, medium sports a 23 inch top tube and a 44.1 wheelbase, when did these changes took effect?????
What's the gemoetry on the 06 Nomad-I had it but the attachment won't open? Inquiring minds needs to know.
turtle

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Previous Geo

Turtle 1 said:
What's the gemoetry on the 06 Nomad-I had it but the attachment won't open? Inquiring minds needs to know.
turtle
If I remember correctly, the Medium Nomad had a top tube of 22.8 and a wheelbase somewhere in the 43's. I knew that they were coming out with the 1.5 headtube for 2007 but I wasn't aware that the geo changed. I will have more info later in the day.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
gkler said:
If I remember correctly, the Medium Nomad had a top tube of 22.8 and a wheelbase somewhere in the 43's. I knew that they were coming out with the 1.5 headtube for 2007 but I wasn't aware that the geo changed. I will have more info later in the day.
Yes, thanks for the post. You've got me wondering, let us know what you come up with. I looked for the geometry in the Nomad Database but couldn't find it. I'm sure TNC or one of the other Nomad riders has the specs.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Old vs New

Turtle 1 said:
Yes, thanks for the post. You've got me wondering, let us know what you come up with. I looked for the geometry in the Nomad Database but couldn't find it. I'm sure TNC or one of the other Nomad riders has the specs.
Like in the title the first number is the old geo and the second the new........

TT- 22.8/23.0
HT- 5.1/5.1
HA- 68/67
SA- 71/70
WB- 43.6/44.1
BBH- 13.7/14.2
CSL- 17.5/17.5

The fact that the head angle and seat angle both dropped a degree plus the taller bottom bracket leads me to believe that the numbers are based on a longer axle to crown fork, but this wouldn't explain the longer top tube.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to Santa CRuz the only change is the 1.5 headtube for 2007, March. It most be that the new geo is based on a 160mm fork, with A/C or 545mm. This still doesn't explain the change in top tube unless they rounded the numbers off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The frame has not changed IMHO. By simple trigonometry if you raise fork A-C height and measure horizontal top tube length - it will increase. If you wish you can experiment measuring horizontal TT, then put something 1" thick under the front wheel, readjust seat height and measure horizontal TT again - the trick is, it has to be exactly horizontal at both measurements.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pawelw said:
The frame has not changed IMHO. By simple trigonometry if you raise fork A-C height and measure horizontal top tube length - it will increase. If you wish you can experiment measuring horizontal TT, then put something 1" thick under the front wheel, readjust seat height and measure horizontal TT again - the trick is, it has to be exactly horizontal at both measurements.
Good point, that is what I thought but wasn't sure. I thought that cause the BB height also is raised then it would roughly stay the same but I guess cause is almost a 2 to 1 ratio from head to bb raise it would make a difference.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Comfirmed

gkler said:
Good point, that is what I thought but wasn't sure. I thought that cause the BB height also is raised then it would roughly stay the same but I guess cause is almost a 2 to 1 ratio from head to bb raise it would make a difference.
Straigth from Santa Cruz.....................

"The 2006 and '2007' Nomad frame geometry is the same, but the forks they are
now measured with are different.
The Nomad now uses a 545mm axle to crown fork for all the geometry
measurements listed in our 2007 catalog, and on our 2007 website.
Previous measurements were made with a 522mm axle to crown fork".

Good don't mess with a good thing......

·
Registered
383 Posts
????

Seems to me that if the trailing edge of the head tube is the same, the wheelbase would lengthen somewhat just going from 1.125" dia. to 1.5" versus head tube centerlines remaining the same might increase the wheelbase very, very slightly. The difference if the '07 forks moving to 160 from 150 would tweak the angles slightly as said in their new release.
just my .02!:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.