Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember when I 1st started riding MTB's way back when ('88). Clipless pedals were a sign of skill a sign that you knew what you were doing on a MTB a sign that you are now part of the elite club. Now I ride and I am actually skoffed at for my clipless. When exactly did this happen. Even people who ride XC frames are using the big block pedals.

I know I am an old guy but did I miss something. When did this happen. Am I that out of touch.

·
Get Down Do you
523 Posts
That is so funny that you posted this because just the other day at the trail 2 guys showed up with brand new Nomads (gorgeus bikes btw) One person had clipless and one person had DH pedals and they actually started arguing about it. Well more like the guy with DH pedals did just what you said and belittled the clipless guy.

I had to intervene and remind the DH guy that it is an all mountain bike and you get to ride these as you see fit. But he would have none of it.

I am thinking it now just comes down to what school of riding you come from that lets you choose what pedals you want to use. And I think that everyone wants to be a hucker now a days.

I know that I have been riding clipless for so long , since 93, that I don't think I could ride without them.

My 2 cents.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Oh the memories

I started riding in '87 and I thought that clips were the best. Remember cinching down the toe straps and feeling like you were in them for the long haul, even if you really needed to get out? Now that was hardcore. These sissies who scoff at you for riding clipless need to try that out.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
OldGuyonabike: Even people who ride XC frames are using the big block pedals.

At a certain level of performance, clipless is a must for XC riding. The ability to spin efficiently (and keep spinning when the riding gets rough) is greatly enhanced by clipless pedals. Why give up that advantage?

·
Registered
689 Posts
serious said:
OldGuyonabike: Even people who ride XC frames are using the big block pedals.

At a certain level of performance, clipless is a must for XC riding. The ability to spin efficiently (and keep spinning when the riding gets rough) is greatly enhanced by clipless pedals. Why give up that advantage?
to look cool because isn't that why we ride bikes

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a few theories...

1. With the much improved FS bikes of today, a rider doesn't always need his/her feet clipped to the pedals for an efficient pedal stroke. ( At least while riding over the ruff suff ).
2. Maybe not everyone wants to be in the "elite club" or the "in croud". What I mean is, I'm like alot of riders who just like to get out and ride their bikes for the simple fun of it. I ride for exercise, to carve threw some nice singletracks and to get out and away from the outside world for at least a few hours at a time. I've had some looks and comments in the past for riding with platform type pedals. You know the kind of snooty, my bike is better that your bike type of people. Granted most of the snooty riders I've ran across probally can be referred to as posers anyway. I do beleive that most people who ride clipless like feeling connected to the bike. There are just some trails that I feel at ease riding unclipped . Sorry if I got on my soapbox.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
OldGuyonabike said:
I remember when I 1st started riding MTB's way back when ('88). Clipless pedals were a sign of skill a sign that you knew what you were doing on a MTB a sign that you are now part of the elite club. Now I ride and I am actually skoffed at for my clipless. When exactly did this happen. Even people who ride XC frames are using the big block pedals.

I know I am an old guy but did I miss something. When did this happen. Am I that out of touch.
I never knew it was about elite or skill. I use both. Being locked in helps me climb, but not when there's a high penalty for failure. Flats or clipless are a where and how I ride thing for me. That said, I find I ride with flats or Mallets most of the time because I frequent rocky and tricky riding as often as possible.

·
Registered
751 Posts
well for me at least, once i converted to clipless all those years ago, it was a permanent conversion. i rode my brother's walmart special a couple of months ago and nearly crashed about a dozen times due to the toe straps...

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I think some of it has to do with the fact that more riders are hitting different kinds of terrain these days (no doubt do to all the hucking videos). At least where I live, MTB use to be all about XC and single track. But more and more new riders are doing that, plus urban, plus small hucking, plus jumps etc. Certainly clipless can be used for all of that, but it may not be the ideal situation for a lot of people just learning these more aggressive skills.

When I first started riding I was using clipless and loved it, but as I get more and more into these other aspects of riding, I realized that clipless can actually be a bit of a hinderance too.

Pick your preference based on terrain, not the cool factor.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The platform pedal snobs are also the "bar ends suck" crowd. Screw 'em.

Ride what you like and what suits your terrain and habits. Anyone who disagrees with that concept is into something other than riding and we really don't have time for that.

Myself, I'm a lot more agile on the bike when clipped or strapped. I'm old and need it to pick up the back of the bike or jump.

Ron

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
OldGuyonabike said:

I don't agree with your premise. Clipless pedals are a sign that you appreciate the efficiency gained by using them. That's it. The rest is all in your head :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
My first mountain bikes had toe clips. But before I got into clipless, my style of riding turned to a kind of cross-country/freeride hybrid, where it's stayed for probably the last 6 or 7 years. I've been riding flats for the past 5 of those years, only because I'm not that interested in efficient pedaling. Big deal, so it takes a little extra effort on my part. I know I'm a better climber with clipless. But that one plus doesn't outweigh the minus, which is-- when I'm in the air, and things go sour, I need to be able to bail. Usually, the decision to bail has to be made and implemented in less than a second, and that's just not enough time for me to get out of clips and still land on my feet.

Bottom line: I'm constantly jumping, bunnyhopping, and hucking, pretty much any chance I get on my local trails and elsewhere. If that's your style of riding, you'll probably be better off with flats. There will always be exceptions (and exceptional riders) that this doesn't apply to. I'm not one of them.

As far as "Is it cool" to have flats vs. clipless? I can't help you there, I only know what works for me .

·
Registered
360 Posts
Some people just get mentally locked into a sense that their way is the only way. That there is only one way to ride. I thought that atittude was only with certain types of riders on the road. It's ok though, I sometimes ride one of my road bikes with Onza mountain pedals, and casual mountain bike shoes :eek:

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
not another thing that (further) demonstrates my lack of cool...
i can't even ride around the block with flat pedals anymore. just keep sliding off, bashing shins. i am an uncool crappy rider.

pass the chips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think some of you are misunderstanding my cool comment. The story was more to shed light on the fact that I am being skoffed at for my riding preferences. I completely understand the need for different types of pedals for different situations. What I don't get is the snobbish attitude I get for wearing clipless, as in "I am not cool or with it b/c I ride clipless". That is why I am saying that I am out of the loop and not cool.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
So be uncool.

OldGuyonabike said:
I think some of you are misunderstanding my cool comment. The story was more to shed light on the fact that I am being skoffed at for my riding preferences. I completely understand the need for different types of pedals for different situations. What I don't get is the snobbish attitude I get for wearing clipless, as in "I am not cool or with it b/c I ride clipless". That is why I am saying that I am out of the loop and not cool.

Personally, I just look at anyone who has an issue with my equipment with a 1000 yard stare. They shut up quickly.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
most of the people that have expressed dislike of my choice to run clipless have never ridden them. they probably based their pedal choice on 'mountian bike action' or some other glossy 'you need this' mag.

pedals are just one example. if you happen to wear the wrong colour socks watch out...no matter what people do (or say they do) there will always be 'Hot' and 'Not' in cycling and everything else.

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Guyechka said:
I started riding in '87 and I thought that clips were the best. Remember cinching down the toe straps and feeling like you were in them for the long haul, even if you really needed to get out? Now that was hardcore. These sissies who scoff at you for riding clipless need to try that out.
True 'dat. A cleated shoe with clips and straps and you were locked in :eek: Being the retro fart that I am, I'm still using clips and straps but I haven't worn a cleated shoe in years.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
OldGuyonabike said:

I'm not an 'old guy'...:) but I use platform pedals on my bikes.

Platform pedals with big sharp leg-eating stainless steel pins and no padding on my legs.

I don't have any problems with my feet coming off the pedals, and I can climb ok.. :)

What I don't like about clip-in pedals is the action required to get your foot out quickly when I need to. They may be slightly more efficient for some riders, but I grew up with platforms and toe-clip pedals and that's where I have mostly stayed.

On my road bike I use the clip-ins, but not on my dirt bike.

That being said, it's no big deal what you use yourself. Choose which type suits your style and preference, and go with it.

R.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts