Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many years riding have you done and how many 12 hour races have you done before considering a 24 hour solo? I am getting itching thoughts about trying one, but at times a sensible side of me says that im not ready.

I have been riding since year 2000, done two 12 hour solo races and a 100 mile race, two 80 mile races and somewhere between half a dozen and a dozen 100km races. I have also been doing the odd xc race most years since i started riding, apart from a big gap from 05-07 where i didnt have a lot of consistent riding and training, and some dabbling in downhill for a few years, hence the lack of fitness for someone thats been riding for such a long time.

I know it depends what my aims for the event are, if i entered a 24 solo i wouldnt like to see a lap time on my results sheet of 6 hours where i obviously went for a sleep. I think this would be an absolute last resort for me. My aim would be to ride for the whole duration of the event, with only really stopping for food like in the 12 hour races while still standing on the bike.

So, i know its hard to know much about my fitness from this. But when do you know you are ready?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Is anyone EVER really ready? LOL! Sound to me like you're fit, have the endurance bug bad, and the itch to try one. Go for it! I've had varying results in 24 hour solos attempts but have done a hand full. Pacing and fueling are the hardest, with an extra scoop of mental issues on top. Once the event starts the riding is the easy part! LOL! A good pit crew or at least someone to kick you in the a** and give you some tough love is [email protected] nice too. Keep cruising this forum there is some good advice, and some knowledgeable folks like Lynda Wallenfels who may chime in with some advice.

Good luck, and have fun. Like the saying goes... "sometimes "fun" hurts pretty f*cking bad!" ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Because the first 24 hours is a mystery in terms of what will happen if you start allucinatiing, are you going to drink properly, is your forearm ready, is your tricep will take it without cramping etc etc etc.

If you have raced several 12 hours and 100 miler, you are more than ready to go for it. Your first one will be an experience, the second one will be fine tuning and your third one will be where you have a chance to start pushing as you will know when and how.

Good luck

Dan

·
Have Cake and beat it 2
291 Posts
echo jason a good pitcrews is ESSENTIAL
two years ago doing the scott 24hr as part of a four man team we had and helped the pitcrew of a female solo rider. they paced her, gave her massages when she cramped, encouragement at 2 in the morning when she was crying from exhaustion and wanted to give up and food and liquid everytime she went past. They also fixed her bike when things went wrong.
other than that, if you think you are fit go for it. Here in aus we have about 6 or so good 24 hr races, 2010 we have the world solo 24hr and the ACT has a working week series of events which are 8 hr enduros.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Was in this boat myself until a few months ago.
Did a number of longer events along with 6, 12 and 24hr events in teams.
My friend is a 24hr solo racer and I was her training partner for the 2009 World 24hr Solo's so I knew I had the fitness.
But I always had this thought in my mind that I could not do it.
She kept telling me that I could and finally convinced me to give it a go.
So a few months ago I lined up for a local 24hr and ended up coming 2nd in my class and 5th overall.

IMO the biggest part of 24hr racing is getting the part of your brain that doubts that you can do it to STFU. Also do not go out to hard. Find a steady cruisy pace and try and stick to it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Damitletsride - if you are asking the question, you are ready to do one. ;-)

Seriously, it sounds like you have all the right ingredients to toe the line. Hook up with someone in your area who has 24hr solo experience and can mentor you, find yourself a reliable pit crew, get your head in the right place and then have at it. With the right approach they can be (sort of) fun. 24's are less about the legs and lungs and more about the mental game most of the time. Get the mental stuff sorted out and you will be well on your way to a non-stop race.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Welcome.....So, you want to join the 24hr solo club. Based on your stated experience, you are more than ready to take on the challenge!! I did a number of 8-9-12hr events leading up to the first solo 24 but the best training experience was competing as part of a 24hr team. This allowed me to feel some of the joy of riding that 3am lap and to observe the solos as they competed for the duration. In preparation, ask as many questions as you can from those who have solo'd. There is no way of really figuring out all the variables until you have done a few 24's. I've done a bunch and sometimes what has worked for the last few suddenly doesn't. That is what keeps it interesting. Best of luck to you...there is nothing better than finishing your first 24:thumbsup:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am in the same boat. **** it. Give it a go. You have nothing to lose but your entry fee. It isn't as if not being able to ride a bike for a whole day without stopping is a mark on you as a person. I have the itch and shall sctratch it (or die trying) in april. By 'die' I mean exhaust myself and make my legs hurt.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dan001 said:
.........the first 24 hours is a mystery.........Your first one will be an experience, the second one will be fine tuning and your third one will be where you have a chance to start pushing as you will know when and how.

Good luck
Agreed 100%

And hope it doesn't rain and cut the race short...that sucks to build yourself up for something then get it cut short from something you can't control. Bring beer just in case this happens...you'll want one, trust me.

Good luck, and just have fun with the first one!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go For It!! I was in the same boat as you this year. I did my 1st one in October with the intent to get the feel for the flow of a 24hr and what I would need to concentrate on to be competitive & successful. I surprised myself & pulled out a 4th place finish.

Here's what I learned:
1. You must have a support crew of some sort. I didn't have one initially, but I hooked up with some friends who were doing it as a team & supporting a few other solo riders & they took care of me. Whether it was pushing me to eat/drink, clean/lube my bike, attatch my lights, refill my bottles, or cheer me on as I rode past each lap, they are so important to a positive outcome.
2. Stay on top of your hydration & nutrition
3. Good lights! I lost a few hours because I had crappy lights that failed.
4. 24hr races are a whole lot of mental! Initially you are on an adrenalin high because of all the excitement of the event & so many riders taking off together, but as riders spread out & time ticks by, you find yourself out there on your own quite a bit. You start doing little stupid things as you get tired so it's a real mental challenge to keep pushing yourself through the wee hours.
5. Should have had a full-suspension bike. My knees were toast by morning & my back was not very happy either. As you get more tired, that little rock garden or small drop-off eventually become boulder gardens and cliff drops :)

Have fun! It's such an incredible experience! Can't wait for my next one!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
easy

All you have to do is go to the mirror and say " the night time is my time.". If you don't start laughing or cdry after you say it all is well and you're good to go.

Dallas " it's always freaky the first time with anything new." Sigurdur

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had no endurance bike racing experience and finished my first 24 hr solo last summer. However, I had finished several other 24+ hour adventure and foot races. So pushing through the night was fine, but spending all that time on that bike was another story! Just go for it!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Damitletsride! said:
How many years riding have you done and how many 12 hour races have you done before considering a 24 hour solo? I am getting itching thoughts about trying one, but at times a sensible side of me says that im not ready.

I have been riding since year 2000, done two 12 hour solo races and a 100 mile race, two 80 mile races and somewhere between half a dozen and a dozen 100km races. I have also been doing the odd xc race most years since i started riding, apart from a big gap from 05-07 where i didnt have a lot of consistent riding and training, and some dabbling in downhill for a few years, hence the lack of fitness for someone thats been riding for such a long time.

I know it depends what my aims for the event are, if i entered a 24 solo i wouldnt like to see a lap time on my results sheet of 6 hours where i obviously went for a sleep. I think this would be an absolute last resort for me. My aim would be to ride for the whole duration of the event, with only really stopping for food like in the 12 hour races while still standing on the bike.

So, i know its hard to know much about my fitness from this. But when do you know you are ready?

Thanks for any input.
I would enter a 24 hr solo with a lot less preparation than that. I am considering already how to get fit enough within the next year.

I'm very new to the sport.... started riding 18 mths ago; 1st club ride in July 09.

I go in races for personal satisfaction at the moment as my fitness and stamina are nowhere near the level I want. I want to do well (figure in the results) but have no chance at this moment.

I use the rides and races for training (mental and physical) and to enhance my fitness.

I completed my 1st 12 hr 3 weeks ago in an underprepared state and am very pleased that I did it.

Night time just means the sun isn't up and you need good lights to see.

Ride in the event. You'll most likely enjoy the experience and go back for more..... a lot sooner than you think.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You are ready to do one.

Start by telling everyone you know that you are going to race the XX solo, and it is on XX date. Keep reminding them. No backing out now.

Support someone trying to do the same thing, so that you can learn something about it (not required but helpful).

Get your training rides up to around 4-7 hours (no not every ride) so that you can get your pace and nutrition dialed in. After 6 hours most people tend to tear down vs. build, so ease back a little studly! The uber trainers have been building up for years (there are always exceptions, but we are talking the norm) and have built up for large volume training.

Get someone to support you. If they have experience...bonus. If they are an enthusiast, and reliable that is more important.

Start out at 60-70% and don't let exuberance get the best of you. If you have it at the end, burn out your last two hours. If not, you suffer less and finish.

Now, lick your wounds, decide where you could have done better, decide if this type of activity is for you, and go from there.

Good luck. Sounds like you have had more experience than many have had before delving into a first 24 solo. What's the worst that could happen? DNF. Would you rather regret something you have done, or something you haven't done?

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey thanks, the response to this has been alot more positive than i expected. I hope everyones not just telling me what i want to hear :rolleyes:

I think the hardest thing about doing a 24 hour solo would be having to deal with all the team riders passing you out at speed when you are a few hours from finishing and collapsing over the bars with tiredness while struggling to turn the pedals.. THIS would be hard i think, if a 12 hour race is anything to go by.

Thanks again for all the responses, as always mtbr is so much help.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Actually most of the team riders are pretty shot by the end and even so many of them are cheering on the solos quite a bit. I've never found that to be an issue near the races end, only sometimes early on or early in the darkness.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Nah

Damitletsride! said:
Hey thanks, the response to this has been alot more positive than i expected. I hope everyones not just telling me what i want to hear :rolleyes:

I think the hardest thing about doing a 24 hour solo would be having to deal with all the team riders passing you out at speed when you are a few hours from finishing and collapsing over the bars with tiredness while struggling to turn the pedals.. THIS would be hard i think, if a 12 hour race is anything to go by.

Thanks again for all the responses, as always mtbr is so much help.
Team riders make it really cool by encouraging you on the way. The kind words definitely help, big time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.