Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for wheelsets? 26" for xc/am, no dh or anything like that. Ideally i don't want to spend no more than 800 pound (UK). Prefer quite hubs but not a dealbraker. Hubs must be at least as good as xt's. My xt's seem to roll forever, they're quite, fast, smooth and have required no maintenance in almost 2 years. They're still performing like new. If my wheels were tubeless or just lighter, i wouldn't bother looking for a new wheelset, especially as i do like xt hubs. What wheels do you use or recommend?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
What axle sizes are you currently running? 9mm QR, 15mm or 20mm axles?

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Stan's wheels come in at a pretty good price point and can be run tubeless. The Arch EX rim might work for you. They come in a variety of axle configurations and can be modified later for 1x11 if you are inclined to make the switch. They are not excessively loud.

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Any recommendations for wheelsets? 26" for xc/am, no dh or anything like that. Ideally i don't want to spend no more than 800 pound (UK). Prefer quite hubs but not a dealbraker. Hubs must be at least as good as xt's. My xt's seem to roll forever, they're quite, fast, smooth and have required no maintenance in almost 2 years. They're still performing like new. If my wheels were tubeless or just lighter, i wouldn't bother looking for a new wheelset, especially as i do like xt hubs. What wheels do you use or recommend?
You can get a super nice wheelset in that price range. Are you looking for a certain weight? I just picked up some Black Flag Experts which are a great budget wheel and they use Stans tubeless rim design. They make lighter versions of them in Pro and Pro SL.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys, i really have no idea when it comes to this stuff, which is why it's so difficult for me to purchase upgrades. Not having a local bike shop also adds to difficulty. I'm afraid i have no idea what a thru axle or drop out is, so i can't answer unfortunately, lol. Now you have a good idea of how limited my bike knowledge is, so you can understand why even small changes are a big hurdle for tools like me, ha!. Here what i think i know, 9mm qr and i think disc rotor is 6 bolt. How i find all the info i need is beyond me, i can't see anything on the bike. All i can do for now is search for recommendations for wheelsets and then find someone who can tell me if they're compatible.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Stan's wheels come in at a pretty good price point and can be run tubeless. The Arch EX rim might work for you. They come in a variety of axle configurations and can be modified later for 1x11 if you are inclined to make the switch. They are not excessively loud.
Not sure how much more Stan's would run in the UK, or if they are even available. But for the $ equivalent of £800 you could get either Arch Ex or Crest wheels customized with DT Swiss hubs. In my opinion a great combo.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
So, what are you trying to accomplish with a new wheelset? Just tubeless compatibilty?

What kind of bike/fork are they going on?

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts

·
Merendon Junkie
1,068 Posts
Thats a bummer to hear flyin, I read some of those threads, most, if not all seemed from about 2 o 3 years back. I though they had sorted out the problems by now. Did you experiencie rear hub failure also?

I'm doubting he has anything to do with it :shocked: and his name should begin in caps...
it was all caps, the mod bot lower cased it. Chill!

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Thats a bummer to hear flyin, I read some of those threads, most, if not all seemed from about 2 o 3 years back. I though they had sorted out the problems by now. Did you experiencie rear hub failure also?

it was all caps, the mod bot lower cased it. Chill!
I rode mine for a long time without major issues, but I was always afraid it would fail.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Do a search on wiggle. Here is one wheel that's currently out of stock. I would wait for these to come back into stock. They would be fantastic and what I would buy if I were in your shoes. wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Rear Wheel | MTB Wheels
wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo SP MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels

When you choose your product I recommend getting the Arch Ex for the riding you described. I have the arch and I have no problems on all mountain type of riding when I'm on my bike 10 hours a week.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would go to Chain Reaction Cycles (or other equivalent UK site) and look at some of their custom build options. You can basically have almost anything you want in that pricerange.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts