Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GF Tassajara, I am looking to upgrade the wheels for disc and maybe find something stronger than the bontrager corvairs that came on the bike. I weigh 220 and am not that skilled yet, so I seem to be kind of hard on the wheels. I have tried going over trees laying on the trail, the fron tire I can get over no problem, but the back hits pretty hard. I have found loose spokes on the rear, I assume from this tree situation. I will gladly accept all recommendations for good wheels, but I would like to know how to pick a good wheel. There are so many. I have read through many threads, I see that 36 spoke wheels are stronger than 32, correct? Single wall, double wall, triple wall? I also see the weight in grams. I also see prices from $150-1,000.. I dont want too heavy a wheel, or too expensive. If I could keep it around $250 for the two, that would be great. Here is one I have been eyeballing.... http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=26 I see that I posted this in the all mountain section, please move if needed,

·
Registered
306 Posts
mavic 321 with xt hubs and Sun Rhynolite wih xt hubs are probably the best wheelset options for low budget. and these wheels perform very well.

also check out the Cane Creek Zonos on ebay. I heard that they are going for $225...and they are coming directly from Cane Creek. good luck.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am a fan of my Sun Single Tracks laced to XT hubs. $145 a Jenson right now. They are on the heavy side but super strong and the hubs a bullet proof. I like them better than my old 321's that were laced to Hope Pro II that cost 4 times more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, after adding everything up it will cost me about 350 to add disc brakes to this bike. Not sure I want to do that. I am thinking that money might be best used towards a new bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.