Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about a second wheelset to get for my freeride bike so I can ride aggressive trails with it. I'm looking at getting the Marzocchi Z1 FR1 150mm and a set of Holzfeller cranks, but I need some help finding a decent wheelset. Going to be getting the cranks from a friend and the Z1 from Soul Cycles, but I don't know where to look for the wheelset. Anyway, I need something that has a 20mm front hub, is fairly light, and can be had on the cheap. Search didn't yield anything really, so I though I might as well ask. I'm going to be changing out the fork and wheelset based on what I'm riding. (FR/DH vs. trails)

Also, anyone notice how similar the Z1 FR1 is to the Fox 36? 150mm single crown, ~5.0 lbs vs. 5.24 lbs, 20mm...all the Z1 really lacks is adjustable travel. Z1 is a lot cheaper, so I'm going that way.

And one more thing, I'm going to get a FSA Pig DH Pro headset to make the fork changes between the Jr. T and the Z1 quick and easy, so is anyone interested in a Chris King headset? Not right away, I have to save up, but I'll need to unload it evenutally.

Thanks. ;)

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JBsoxB said:
mine...

and as for the fork thing... i like how the 36 is light and all that... it's like a big talas...

isn't the z1 coil?
Nice wheels...how much did you pay? Custom build I assume. The Z1 is coil with air preload, but somehow it is only marginally heavier than the 36. Once I converted the grams off of Marzocchi's website into pounds I was sold.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lucky13 said:
Probably Singletracks if you're looking for the cheapest, lightest.

Headset: how FSA aids in swaping forks? Just get a Headlock. Heck more of a help from that device.
The FSA Pig DH Pro has the bearing enclosed in cartridges. My friend has them on his Dare, and I put on his fork in about half the time it took me with my King headset, which has more loose parts and stuff. I'll probably stick with the star nuts though. I have no problem with setting all that up.

Anyway...are Halo Combat wheels very heavy? cause I can get them cheap. They at least look heavy.

·
493 Posts
Check out the Azonic Outlaw wheelset.

Also, anything with Chris King does not qualify as a cheap wheelset. You can two full wheels for the price of a rear King hub. Not bashing King, they make awesome stuff, but it's not cheap.

As for Singletracks, I am not a fan. They're OK as a front rim, but I wouldn't run one in the rear. I had a bad experience with a 24" flatspoting and gernerally not being very strong (on a BigHit, not a hardtail). I know others have had similar troubles too, so think about it.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
Nice wheels...how much did you pay? Custom build I assume. The Z1 is coil with air preload, but somehow it is only marginally heavier than the 36. Once I converted the grams off of Marzocchi's website into pounds I was sold.
$400 for the wheels.. (used - you can pick up some very good deals if you look around)

i like just about everything about the 36 except the sh*tty color (haha, no pun intended!)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
BikeMk said:
As for Singletracks, I am not a fan. They're OK as a front rim, but I wouldn't run one in the rear. I had a bad experience with a 24" flatspoting and gernerally not being very strong (on a BigHit, not a hardtail). I know others have had similar troubles too, so think about it.
If you check tension after every ride and run correct pressure, they survive. Held up at 13ft to barely any transition.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
The FSA Pig DH Pro has the bearing enclosed in cartridges. My friend has them on his Dare, and I put on his fork in about half the time it took me with my King headset, which has more loose parts and stuff. I'll probably stick with the star nuts though. I have no problem with setting all that up.

Anyway...are Halo Combat wheels very heavy? cause I can get them cheap. They at least look heavy.
Your king headset doesn't have sealed bearings????

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JBsoxB said:
don't all kings have sealed bearings?

i mean the AL ones the TI ones the steel ones... i though they all were sealed bearings, along with everything else they make.
No...just like the way the Pig DH fits together. Does the work itself.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
WheelieMan said:
Umm, definately not a custom wheelset if you are looking for something cheap. Pre-built is the only way to go.
I'd prefer it Spencer. Well, atleast now since I don't have a job. It's 1/5th the price and works just as well even if it doesn't last a decade. :p

·
Registered
896 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
I'd prefer it Spencer. Well, atleast now since I don't have a job. It's 1/5th the price and works just as well even if it doesn't last a decade. :p
Of course. My king headset came on my bike, otherwise I wouldn't have one. What a waste of money! However, I don't understand why anyone would switch from a King to any other headset. Especially for "ease of removal". Headsets aren't designed to be removed constantly, they are a set and forget part.

·
Old Guy that rides
183 Posts
WTB DualDuty

Check out the DualDuty FR wheelset. I've ran them for a couple years and you can't beat the value.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.