Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, wanting opinions for options on a wheelset for the 15mm front QR system as I intend to get the new 09 Fox Talas 32 RLC 15mm QR version. Budget is US$1,000 for the wheelset. I'm thinking the Mavic SLRs but wonder if they pair well with the Talas RLC, I mean the Talas can take quite a beating, and lightweight wheelsets seem kinda 'fragile' huh? Was also thinking fulcrum red metal zero (love the red!) but don't think they have the 15mm QR version. Industry nine is a long wait.

For the record I don't intend to take 5 foot drops or stuff like that. My balls are not hard enough!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. I went with EASTON AM HAVOCS 15mm front and 10mm bolt rear. These wheels are solid,spin great, perfect for all mountain use. The SLRs were too light for my style of riding but if I was only a XC rider then they would have been my first choice

·
bike rider
5,522 Posts
American Classic hub, 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes, ZTR355 rim with yellow tape. 30 grams lighter, stiffer, cheaper, wider rim than Mavic SLR.

·
No dabs.
320 Posts
Custom built wheels. Almost always better.

Dave Thomas at Dave's Speed Dream Wheels builds them himself. http://www.speeddream.com

You call him and talk through your weight, riding style, bike build, etc. to customize a set that fits your needs.

I went with DT Swiss hubs and Stan's ZTR355 rims. Mine has heavier gauge spokes on the disc side of the front wheel as well as the drive side of the rear. Maximizing strength, minimizing rotating weight. Under $800 for the set.

Industry 9's are beautiful though, and it sounds like people are satisfied with those builds. The superior engagement of the rear hub can't hurt. And with the nipple side of the spoke towards the hub, that'll be a quicker spinning wheelset.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
You're in luck because there are lots of good wheel choices out there these days. All those listed above are good. I just got a very nice set of wheels built by Dave Thomas at Speeddream.com for my wife. Beautiful, light, solid and very reasonably priced. I'm also a fan of the Mavic Crossmax wheels, although I prefer the ST's to the SLR's just because the slightly wider rim is better for running wider tires. Lots of other good choices for you too. It all depends on what you plan to use them for, etc. You might try posting your question and as much info about yourself, type of riding, etc. as possible on the Wheels and Tires Forum, but you'll get a wide range of responses there too. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got 240 hubs with 5.1 D rims and DT competition spokes. Great durable low maintenance wheels and much cheaper than the EX 1750 for example. You do not need to spend $1000 for a great pair of wheels.

·
DWlink Fanboy
201 Posts
use mtbr.com...

Hi,

I like the idea of custom wheelsets as well. I ended up loooking at reviews for hubs on mtbr.com, and decided to go with the Hope II Pro hubs instead of the marginally lighter DT Swiss or American Classic. You'll see lots of stories of both of the hubs failing on the mtbr.com reviews!

Also, what works for some won't work for others. Even though I'm a flyweight, I decided to go with ZTR Arch rims instead of 355s for a little extra strength when going through rocks. If you're going with a thru axle fork, you'll probably be riding faster, need a stronger rim... you get the idea.

Albert

·
Registered
372 Posts
I went with j bend industry nine hubs, only because I got a good deal on them and chris king wont be coming out with the 15mm for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did decide on a Mavic SLR 15mm set and went to the LBS to close but they wanted more for the I.S 6 bolt saying the cheaper price was only valid for the centerlock version. Decided to take a hike and in researching options once again saw that Fulcrum Red Metal Zero HH's are now out and certainly look very interesting. Wondering if anyone's had any experience with them yet?

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/jspful...ng=en&world=offroad&freeride=false&xc29=false

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Ok, here is my new sweet All Mountain setup for 15mm. Review to follow someday! I have been finding myself liking a bit beefier wheelset in the terrain I have playing in lately on the Mojo, the more XC wheelset just were a bit flexier then I wanted, and I am a light 160lbs, and ride with a light touch.

If I was rebuilding a wheelset instead of my old ZTR 355/American Classic I would go with ZTR Arch/American Classic (or Hope in front if I wanted 9/15/20 changeability).

Attachments

·
bike rider
5,522 Posts
Huh, so whats the word so far on those rims? Weight, ease of Stan'sing (do they require the rubber strip or can they work with yellow tape)? I'm such a weight weenie that I can't imagine running anything but Notubes rims so those will have to prove themselves against Flows.

·
DWlink Fanboy
201 Posts
take a look at hub reviews as well...

Hi,

I'm running Hope Pro IIs front / rear with ZTR Arch. Take a long hard look at the hub reviews on MTBR. You know the Bontrager saying... "Cheap, light, strong, pick two". There are some hubs that are not highly rated, and the reasons are pretty clear as you read through the reviews. I have also had Chris King hubs. Both King and Hope seem to be quite well sealed against the elements.

If you are going to go with Stan's rims, and a custom build, I would recommend going with the ZTR Arch over the ZTR 355 or ZTR Olympics. The Arch is just a shade heavier, and significantly stronger. Unless you are racing and need to shave every last gram off your bike, I think the added strength is worth the minor weight penalty.

Albert

1 - 15 of 15 Posts