Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking at wheels for my 2008 ex9 for a while, love my bike! I like to ride it all from decent drops, fast single, technical rocky, basically I really abuse my rims/bike, the Bontragers it came with are toast and will never be true again.
My question... ok my rant is why does it seem all the rims suggested by most riders come with a 1000 dollar price tag? I mean I can see paying 600.. 700.. 750!! It just seems wheels as simple as they are shouldn't be half what i paid for the bike in the first place.
So are there any wheel sets out there... good ALL MOUNTAIN wheel sets out there for a decent price that will stand up to some decent abuse without breaking the bank?

your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Mike in NM

·
Registered
570 Posts
Big fan of transition wheels, Ive had a set of 32's for 3 yrs. First on a DJ and for the last 2 yrs on my AM bike and I love them. I'm about 180 lbs with gear and not the gentlest rider (1/2 hack, 1/2 finesse). Personally, the weight penalty is insignificant for the peace of mind when bombing through rock gardens. Only $330 bucks too..

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
greedy
482 Posts
mrapdaca said:
why does it seem all the rims suggested by most riders come with a 1000 dollar price tag? I mean I can see paying 600.. 700.. 750!!
Unless you are buying carbon, a $1000 will buy you the nicest of mtn bike wheels. If you will consider 600.. 700.. 750.. and that is not a typo, you can get any great wheel you want. I've been riding kings on 819s for 2 years and been recklessly abusive. Seems like I only paid $750 or so for them. Look into King, Hadley, I9 or Hope on 819s or Flows and you'll get a bombproof set of wheels, with the right builder.

Just remember the saying goes, "Strong, Light, Cheap...Pick 2". And yes, when climbing, rotational weight does matter.

·
Trail Ninja
6,306 Posts
The CB Cobalt (XC) and Sage (FR) pop up on Chainlove for $500 if you can stand the loud freewheel sound. XCs are tough, def not race day only wheels. Sunline V1 AM wheels pop up too for $300 for the set.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I second the King and Mavic 819 setup. Picked them up for $850 at Richard's bikes. I also had a set built for my SS. King hubs with Stan's Arch.

You can't go wrong with Kings. They will last forever if you take care of them.

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,674 Posts
Check out White Industries hubs...I'm having a set of those built on Stan's Flow rims in the mid-600 range (universalcycles). Already have a set of WI hubs on another bike and like them a lot. Not the same cache as the really big $$ stuff, and just "normal" engagement, but work very nicely overall.

·
Do it all or nothing
736 Posts
Well this may be over kill but I got these since my rig serves as my DH and FR rig too. Shimano saint hubs laced up to mtx 33s. The best part is they were around 400$. And that was with black spokes and gold nipples to fit my color sceme. Check out CRC and see what you can build. It will probably be alot cheaper than you thought. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=752
Go play around and see what you can find.

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
It's quite hard to beat hope hoops for value, at least here in Europe. A pair will cost about 350€, while getting a wheel set with DT hubs will easily cost over 500€, over 800€ with Kings and over 1000€ with I9.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.