Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
why get rid of the i9s
unless you have a reason not to like them then dont get rid of them and sell them at a loss
the only way i would get rid of them...assuming you are not having issues with them...is if you get a fatty pro deal and you can sell them at a profit

·
Registered
192 Posts
I love the stiffnes/feel with the I9 wheel set. Do you think the Stan's will be as stiff??? I dont see how. less spoke mass, less rim mass........to me that would be a sacrifice in regards to stiffness. Maybe I am way off base here but that is my thought.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
topfuel98 said:
for what i sell the I9s for on the bay, it will almost be even up trade, no probs with the 9s love the rear hub, and will miss that, but the 200g less of rotaing mass is what im lookin at..
Will the 200 be total lost? Ie, 100 front, 100 rear? i'm betting that 100g is very hard to notice per wheel.

Further, where exactly is the 100g per wheel coming from? Presumably the hub? rotating mass at the axle...is not nearly as valuable to eliminate as rotating mass at the rim.

What rim is on your I9's at present? if it's a heavy one, what about doing a rim-over to a lighter rim? I'm considering that for my I9ss wheels now, as I have a fairly healthy dis-taste for the Salsa Delgato Disc's I'm currently laced to (thinking a Bonty Tubeless Duster instead, or a Semi).

·
Registered
599 Posts
It's funny you should be asking that question. I am in the same boat, but add a couple hundred grams. Last season I raced/trained on Profile Racing hubs laced to Delgado discs. Try around 2250-2300gr. They were stiff and fast, although the Delgado rims definitely lived up to their MTBR moniker of DelTacos. I never folded one, but the non welded rim just didn't hold up over racing and training.

Now I am looking at a set of I9s. I am going to lace the Profiles to Flows as my bomber everyday wheel, and have the I9s for my fast days, race day wheelset. I am torn between running 355s like you or maybe some Arches for a little extra stiffness. I can't justify spending that much money just to have a lay around race day only wheelset. The one thing that would push me to encourage you to stay with the I9's is the stiffness.

The No Tubes Race wheels in 26" at least are laced with DT 1.8/1.5/1.8mm spokes. Combined with that light of a rim that would be a ridiculously flexy wheelset in a 700c size, even at your weight I feel. I really don't think that No Tubes is going to lace them up with that light of a spoke honestly. They will probably use regular Revolutions and maybe a combo of Supercomps and Revolutions for a nice blend of weight and a little extra stiffness.

I weigh about the same as you and wouldn't think about riding that wheelset. I have been getting harder on my equipment over the last couple of years as I start to ride harder and faster with wheels being about the only thing I am hard on.

It's a tough call as light as the Race rims are definitely where you would want to lose rotational weight in the wheel other than the tire. Maybe keep the I9's and try running a lighter tire combo this coming season to lose that little bit of extra weight. It is going to make even more of a difference than changing the rim seeing as it is farther out on the wheel.

That was a lot of words. Sorry for the soap box. I am just in a similar situation and this is my last component in question on my race bike for this coming season. I9's vs Kings with good old steel spokes, Oh the options.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the i9s to 355s are very stiff, some times to stiff with the carbon superfly,at my weight. ive rode 355s to AC hubs with 2.0/1.7 spokes and they are no where as stiff, but i kind of like that some times, the race rims are about 70g each lighter then the 355s, i already run stans tires or karmas bout as light as a tire i can go... I have a crow thats 433g..

·
Registered
599 Posts
You sound like a candidate for those wheels I'd say. The only thing that would hinge me on picking them would be spoke selection. I had bad luck running a 29er wheels with Revolutions. It was a rear experiment wheel. I figured if it held at normal tensions then a front would work fine. I had to over tension slightly and the nipples got worn down in the process causing them to break. That could easily been from not enough lube on the nipple/eyelet joint or just plain overtensioning.

There have been good reports about the durability of the rims which makes me feel more comfortable with them as a rim. I personally just am wearing about a 29er wheelset under 1600gr. While it would be nice, I just am doubtful. Sure it can be done with AC hubs or certain lightweight hubs, but currently you can only get so light with current rim offerings. The extra weight is coming out of the hubs.

I see your tire selection is already as light as it gets (unless you run some of the Scwalbe Furious Freds, again scary for me.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.