Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welp, looks like my rear hub will soon be toast. The freehub side isn't doing so hot, possibly something striped on the Shimano m525 hub, it grinds a little in a certin spot. I was looking at the Bike29 Foundation wheelset and was wondering if anyone here is running those? I don't really need a front wheel, so my other option could be to build up just a rear wheel. ~$200 would be my budget..

I was looking at the Saint hub since i'm running a Monocog with gears. But using that Saint hub, will I have enough room on the axle to still use my chain tugs? I'm not able to slam the wheel all the way forward (running a WTB Stout and it'd rub like hell).

Guess some more info would help.. 275#, not to agressive, but take small drops ~1ft and some jumps.

·
Tracking up the place
628 Posts
Well I would venture to say, get a set of Deetrax...I was weight wonder on the hefty side of these and concerned about draggin them around.. But, I made the trade a of a needle stick (wifes a EMT) for new wheelset...(long Story).. But I have to say the rear hub is tough and built to take what you are talking about. If the hoops are heavy find a comptent person to re-hoop them on lighter rims like set of crossmax..

But I have yet to take the wheeset to be trued in two years, and I like you are a superclyde, though 5lbs lighter..with calfs the size of cantalopes and the love of climbing and descending...I look into them and see what you think..

One thing I have noticed, the Deetrax are stiff, my old mavic 717 and xt set are very soft in turns and off camber trails, and I can hear rotor rub then.. I use these mainly for xc races where I know climbing is not the biggest concern..But the Dee's stay straight and you can really push the weight around on them... GL

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
check out Halo wheels and hubs. They are cheap and burly. I am running a Halo SAS wheelset with their Spindoctor hubs (48h rear, 36h front) and they stand up to some serious punishment with plenty of DH runs at the bike park. BTW I'm >300 lbs.

They make a Saint axle for 'em too in case you want to run a Saint rear derailleur.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.