Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally pulled the trigger on a new wheelset for my Santa Cruz Hightower build, and the wheelset was the last piece of the puzzle.

Started out being delivered to the wrong house. Luckily the driver remembered enough details about where they were delivered that I was able to track them down during my lunch break (ended up being 5 houses down). :madman:

Give them a quick once over and mount the valve stems they sent. Just barely long enough to get a pump on, but too short imho. :skep: I wrestled with both tires a lot to get them mounted, way too tight of a fit. I wouldn't be too upset but the new carbon rims I ordered are the same model I had on a previous wheelset with these exact tires, and mounting them up on the other rims wasn't nearly this difficult. Obviously some variation happening.

Air up tires and mount wheeset onto bike. Looks awesome. Start spinning them with my hands while making motorcycle noises under my breath, and notice a couple of scratches on the center of the the rear hub! WTF! Not a huge deal, but it's a really expensive brand new hub! I settle down and start wiping my greasy finger prints off the rims. I then notice discoloration around a bunch of the spoke holes. Well....wtf is this now!!

I'm sure the wheelbuilder will take care of me, but I've been waiting months to get these into my hands, and this is just a big letdown.

Yellow Bicycle accessory Orange Bicycle part Amber
Mode of transport Blue Automotive tire Product Brown
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Automotive tire Rim Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
179 Posts
You should probably mention the brands you chose. If you were to say these were expensive, boutique brands, I’d say send them back if it’s going to bother you. You should be happy with a purchase of custom built wheels.

If they are Chinese rims with expensive hubs I’d say get riding and let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
You could siege a bearing in the first couple rides?

But seriously, I’d be sending that rear wheel back. Looks like a CK hub, and those ain’t cheap! Either replace or discount $100-$200.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking bout the white area around the spoke holes?
Yes I am.

What rims are they?
Brand new ones

You could siege a bearing in the first couple rides?

But seriously, I'd be sending that rear wheel back. Looks like a CK hub, and those ain't cheap! Either replace or discount $100-$200.
Siege: a military operation in which enemy forces surround a town or building, cutting off essential supplies, with the aim of compelling the surrender of those inside.

Or a seagal could poop on you.
Not many seagulls round these parts. More then likely a horny robbin's poop.

·
Bodhisattva
10,866 Posts
Personally, I can't appreciate from the photos the area of concern around the spoke holes, from description it could just be a bit of carbon epoxy and not likely an area of concern.

As for the hub, that's unacceptable for a new part. Depending on your level of dissatisfaction, I agree that options are to ask for a discount or replacement.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Brand new ones
You are missing the point here. What "brand" of rims are they? If they are from a quality manufacturer like Reynolds, industry Nine, Santa Cruz, Ibis then you ought to contact them.

If they some Chinese hoops (which I ride sometimes, so no judgement here) then maybe it's just the luck of the draw when dealing with the over seas companies.

I'm picking up the scent of buyers remorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,898 Posts
the rim is fine

the scratches on the hub, grounds for free replacement... that is unacceptable that you'd have a scratch there. any wheel builder or lacing monkey would not have scratched that whatsoever.

unacceptable. you deserve a scratch free build and that is their problem to fix. the rim though, I see no issues. sure if you ride the bike it's gonna get dirty and messed up, but let say you were building a display bike or...

hell...you don't even need a reason.

scratched my high zoot hub ? that's a paddlin

full disclosure: I will sometimes buy high end flashy parts. but the next step is ride the crap out of it in all conditions, and barely wash it for it's lifetime. that's how I roll

but day one ? that thing better be spotless and flawless if it's flashy.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Using my highly legitimate psychic abilities I channeled the ghost of Lance Armstrong’s credibility to divine the brands in question: Chris King Hubs laced to 35mm Nextie rims.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Siege: a military operation in which enemy forces surround a town or building, cutting off essential supplies, with the aim of compelling the surrender of those inside.
Autocorrect: When your electronic device f*%#'s you.

But that definition almost works, the enemy forces of bad wheel luck surround you and force the bearings inside to "seize", effectively surrendering

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.