Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a place I've missed that goes over various wheelsets/builds and compares them from a weight (among other things) perspective? If so, I'll gladly mark this irrelevant if you'll point me to it.

My situation is that whether I build a bike or buy a complete bike (which would be lower spec to start)...I'm going to want to upgrade wheels. I don't need top of the line, but I want better than most low-spec complete bikes. Something that saves me weight and is durable, low resistance, but doesn't break the bank. Would be looking at 29er in the 2.5-2.8 tire range. I don't hit the jump park much at all (yet) but do ride some chunky, rooty, ledge-y, stuff, so no weak rims. If you are aware of general cost, that would be amazing to know!

Again, totally happy to be pointed in some various directions to do my own research :)

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So here are some wheels I'm intrigued by. Again, consider I plan to run 2.5-2.8 width tires in 29er. Probably going 11 speed for weight, price, and because I don't feel the need for 12 speed.

Sun Ringle Duroc 35 Expert - 31mm internal - 1860g
Industry Nine Enduro - 30.5mm internal - 1900g
Roval Traverse - 30mm internal - 1870g

The above are mostly in the $500-$750ish range.

The Spank rims are all pretty heavy, so far that I've found.

Thoughts? Additions I should look at?

·
Registered
303 Posts
So here are some wheels I'm intrigued by. Again, consider I plan to run 2.5-2.8 width tires in 29er. Probably going 11 speed for weight, price, and because I don't feel the need for 12 speed.

Sun Ringle Duroc 35 Expert - 31mm internal - 1860g
Industry Nine Enduro - 30.5mm internal - 1900g
Roval Traverse - 30mm internal - 1870g

The above are mostly in the $500-$750ish range.

The Spank rims are all pretty heavy, so far that I've found.

Thoughts? Additions I should look at?
Just try. Stan’s no tube. You can’t beat them by the money. I’m a Clyde and they hold me well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
YOu can get a custom hand built wheelset for your budget. I had a set of DT Swiss 350 hubs and Raceface Arc 30 with DT Swiss completion spokes and Hyperglide hub for $640 shipped from Colorado cyclist with a coupon.

Prowheel builder has a great web page you can build up a set of wheels on their web page and it calculates the weight of the finished wheels. Also is a great custom wheel builder.

Speed Gear Bike is another wheel builder recommended to me. I have not used them though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Is there a place I've missed that goes over various wheelsets/builds and compares them from a weight (among other things) perspective? If so, I'll gladly mark this irrelevant if you'll point me to it.

My situation is that whether I build a bike or buy a complete bike (which would be lower spec to start)...I'm going to want to upgrade wheels. I don't need top of the line, but I want better than most low-spec complete bikes. Something that saves me weight and is durable, low resistance, but doesn't break the bank. Would be looking at 29er in the 2.5-2.8 tire range. I don't hit the jump park much at all (yet) but do ride some chunky, rooty, ledge-y, stuff, so no weak rims. If you are aware of general cost, that would be amazing to know!

Again, totally happy to be pointed in some various directions to do my own research :)
Dt swiss E or M1700 series with internal width 30mm is what you want. If you can get them anywhere 🙂

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Reactions: NWA_Tre

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone have any opinions on the wheels I listed above? Any red flags positive or negative?

Also interested in the Stans S2 Flow wheels but don’t think anyone has them yet…?

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Does anyone have any opinions on the wheels I listed above? Any red flags positive or negative?

Also interested in the Stans S2 Flow wheels but don’t think anyone has them yet…?
No brainer, the Industry 9s. Best hubs of the bunch, hubs are made in the USA, and their customer support is second to none.

Reactions: jeremy3220

·
Registered
179 Posts

For me it would be the DT Swiss because I'm a big fan and super high engagement hubs aren't for me. I have the xm 1501 set, which is kind of the predecessor to those ones. I honestly can't imagine a better aluminum wheel set for my purposes. In fact, I like them better than a Reynolds carbon set I just paid twice as much for and the Reynolds are nice. Wheels are kind of personal thing like most parts though so to each his own.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
DW swiss's spoke length calculator also functions as a weight calculator.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
My LBS owner is a huge Hope guy. He laces wheels as well and is very good at it. Any thoughts on Hope hubs?
They are good hubs. They use simple cartridge bearings that can be punched out relatively easy. There is one bearing on the freehub mech that is a special size for them, but getting them in and out is not a big deal. They are not very "special", but IME they work and the maintenance is pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
My LBS owner is a huge Hope guy. He laces wheels as well and is very good at it. Any thoughts on Hope hubs?
How do you know he is good at it? Just because someone can lace a wheel and true it straight does not mean they are a good builder. Are the spoke lengths right? Are the wheels evenly tensioned? Are they properly tensioned. Most of the wheels I have seen built by local shops are serviceable, but hardly good, often having highly variable or improper tension, as their "builder" just does it by feel and doesn't build enough wheels to be able to tension by feel. There is a big difference in both knowledge and skill between someone that builds wheels for a living and a shop that does 1-5 sets a month.

I personally will never use a pair of Hopes again. The old hopes were great. The sets of Pro 2s I dealt with were utter garbage. Supposedly the Pro 4s are better, but I have no interest in using them when I can get DT Swiss 350s for the same price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.