Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any pre-made wheelsets that will fit the 2008 Stumpy? I notice one person put Crossmax ST wheels on their Expert, but since the front hub is 9mm and the rear hub is standard size (which is what?) does that mean I have to purchase a front wheel and then a rear wheel separately? I ride XC with very little jumps and weigh 135.

Thanks for any suggestions.
 

·
Come on, dare me!
Joined
·
539 Posts
At your weight, you could put either the ST or even the SL, which are stronger than many people think. I weigh 160 lb « dry » and ride SLRs on my FS bike (2004 Stumpjumper) and they have hold very well to date. Plus, the Mavic are tubeless ready, meaning you can put in Stan's, put a tubeless-ready or even standard tires on and loose weight on your wheels (which is the most important place to do it on your bike) while increasing reliability and traction. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Good to know I have options. I was afraid to be left with only the DT Swiss wheels or something custom. I know many people who LOVE the Mavics but I thought they were out of the picture because of the 9mm front hub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Yup, any standard MTB wheels with a QR front and rear will work.

The Specialized Control wheels are super light, strong and everything in between.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=34331

Crossmax SLR's are sweet wheels too. (If you are looking for something less expensive, Crossmax ST)
http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/Crossmax-SLR-Disc.995327.aspx

Industry Nine makes some Awesome wheels. They are a bit more expensive and have some alternative designs.
http://www.industrynine.net/official/ultralite.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing yet

I am new to the sport and had read a bunch of stuff on this forum about not being able to use any other shocks than Specialized, etc. then took my front wheel off and discovered it was not a standard 5mm skewer. I didn't understand that the front hub was a standard size--I thought this was yet another proprietary Specialized thing. (Newbie issue on my part.) 3 weeks after I purchased my bike (end of May) my friend who bought a 2007 Stumpy expert had her brain die...has missed weeks of riding because it had to be sent back to the factory. I wanted to know what my options are in case I wrecked my front tire. Now I see that I can purchase any stock wheels if that time comes, so I feel much better. The shock issue is still scary to me, but I haven't seen a lot of posts about AFR/brain failure so am hoping for the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Hi Guys,

Interesting post. I'd like to pick your brains as well.

I just picked up an '08 Stumpy FSR 29er and am considering going with a "slick" wheel set for road riding so I don't wear down my off road wheels when I'm just biking down some paved roads.
I was thinking of using the slicks on the stock DT rims and then getting a set of beefier rims for off roading. I'm 6'6" 260lbs so I'll probably have to spend a bit more to get a wheel set that can handle my weight off road.

Can you guys recommend a good set of wheels?
Appreciate it!
Paul
 

·
Come on, dare me!
Joined
·
539 Posts
Bunyan said:
Hi Guys,

Interesting post. I'd like to pick your brains as well.

I just picked up an '08 Stumpy FSR 29er and am considering going with a "slick" wheel set for road riding so I don't wear down my off road wheels when I'm just biking down some paved roads.
I was thinking of using the slicks on the stock DT rims and then getting a set of beefier rims for off roading. I'm 6'6" 260lbs so I'll probably have to spend a bit more to get a wheel set that can handle my weight off road.

Can you guys recommend a good set of wheels?
Appreciate it!
Paul
If budget permits (and if you are open-minded regarding your wheels/bike paint scheme ;)), check the DT Swiss EX1750 wheelset : http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Wheels/EX-wheels/EX-1750.aspx. Lighter than the stock wheels too and high quality/durability.

Jerome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do the DT Swiss 420s weigh?

When you are saying that the wheels are lighter than stock, it leads me to believe you know what the 420s weigh. If anyone knows, it would be a good reference for other wheelsets. Thanks!
 

·
jcard14
Joined
·
154 Posts
i don't remember the exact weight, but it was approx. 2000 grams...

I also failed to mention in my earlier post that i sealed my i9's and am running tubeless...so that is an additional weight savings...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jcard14 said:
i don't remember the exact weight, but it was approx. 2000 grams...

I also failed to mention in my earlier post that i sealed my i9's and am running tubeless...so that is an additional weight savings...
Wow, so upgrading could really save some weight! Not to be an ignoramus, but why does running tubeless save weight? It seems like with tubeless there are still tubes, and then the tires, and then the weight of the sealant....
 

·
Come on, dare me!
Joined
·
539 Posts
hka9394 said:
Wow, so upgrading could really save some weight! Not to be an ignoramus, but why does running tubeless save weight? It seems like with tubeless there are still tubes, and then the tires, and then the weight of the sealant....
Because if you run tubeless (especially with tubeless rims like Mavic), you save the weight of the tube, wich means between 125-180 g per wheel for a light/standard tube and you even can run standard (non tubeless) tires or the new lighter tubeless ready tires (for example the 2Bliss series from Specialized). Even if you add 60 g of sealant, you still save around 50-100 g per wheel...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
I ride hard all mountain on the Roval Traverse - they are great wheels. They accellerate very quickly - best upgrade I've made to my Enduro. I ride them tubeless (Stans) with DTC Kenda Nevegals. The Roval Control (XC version) should be near the top of your list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Jerome said:
Because if you run tubeless (especially with tubeless rims like Mavic), you save the weight of the tube, wich means between 125-180 g per wheel for a light/standard tube and you even can run standard (non tubeless) tires or the new lighter tubeless ready tires (for example the 2Bliss series from Specialized). Even if you add 60 g of sealant, you still save around 50-100 g per wheel...
Exactly - I was running 2.30 light weight tubes and they still weighed in at a whopping .75 lbs each! I cut nearly 2lbs going tubless with Stans (1.5 scoops of stans doesn't weigh very much). I felt the pedaling improvement instantly. Another thing, when you run tubeless you can run lower pressure if you like and you also have a much better connection with the trail. After riding tubeless going to a tubed tire gives a numbed feeling.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top