Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and happy new year
As i said to the main title i would like to upgrade my wheelset making it lighter but strong and durable for my weight(215lbs).i need it for xc/trail riding and small adventure/endurance racing.I currently have a wheelset with hope pro II hubs-dtswiss 5.1d rims-dtswiss competition spokes,panaracer fire xc pro tires 2.1 .Now i have in mind to change the rims and the spokes with Sapim cx-ray.which rims do you recommend me????
Is it worth to save 250-300 gr or I better stay off and save my money
Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
How durable do you want your wheels?

You may inquire around a bit more about the Sapim's.

My nice road wheels lasted only about 2000 miles before I started breaking spokes and I weight 145#. They rebuilt them twice for me and still breakage. Finally went with a more common double butted spoke and no problems now in over a year abd probably 4000 miles on that set of wheels.

Now sure these are exactly the same spoke, but at your weight I'm check around a bit.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CactusJackSlade said:
How durable do you want your wheels?

You may inquire around a bit more about the Sapim's.

My nice road wheels lasted only about 2000 miles before I started breaking spokes and I weight 145#. They rebuilt them twice for me and still breakage. Finally went with a more common double butted spoke and no problems now in over a year abd probably 4000 miles on that set of wheels.

Now sure these are exactly the same spoke, but at your weight I'm check around a bit.

Hope that helps!
hi my friend
please explain to me what do you mean by 'sapim spokes brakes'???i am happy with my dtswiss competition spokes but i try to find something lighter and more durable.i like to build a lighter wheelset than the 1920gr that i have now.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Fanis said:
hi my friend
please explain to me what do you mean by 'sapim spokes brakes'???i am happy with my dtswiss competition spokes but i try to find something lighter and more durable.i like to build a lighter wheelset than the 1920gr that i have now.
These were on my road wheels, American Classic MAG 300's. They were breaking right at the bend (Where spokes break 99% of the time). The 3rd time I had them laced up with their (American Classic) round double butted spokes and no problems.

I bevieve that on my Stan's wheels with American Classic hubs they use the DT swiss Revolution spokes - no problems on mine so far, I have two sets over 2 years old... but again my friend I'm only 145# :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.