Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new lightweight wheelset but I'm worried about sourcing replacement spokes or even a whole replacement rim.

I was looking at the Crank Bros Cobalt wheelset and contacted them about the MSRP for a replacement spoke as well as where I could get one and they replied there were none currently available. I searched online for spokes for the XTR M975 and the Mavic SLR wheelsets but couldn't find any either. I'm not a LBS type of guy and hate to deal with any of them. I prefer to order my parts online and do my own wrenching but if I can't find a spoke that fits I'm SOL.

Anyone know where to find replacement spokes for XTR M975, CB Cobalt or Mavic SLR wheels online? I think that will determine my choice of the new wheelset. And in case anyone's wondering I'm planning to slap some Maxxis Maxxlite 310's on em. :)

Thanks!

PS: I realise the wheels mentioned are considered somewhat of a boutique wheelsets and I could probably get one built around the same weight with spokes that are readily available. But, I want the bling factor. :)

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I'd suggest a good set of handbuilt wheels, but since you don't want to go that route - it sounds like I9's are the best bet for ya.

The extra spokes sound like a good bet, and can't hurt to ask for a few extras when you order.

JmZ

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you stick with standard wheels rather than the boutique variety there will be no such problem. And standard built wheels have been around hundreds of years and are a proven entity.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
If you really really want a prebuilt wheelset with standard spokes, you can go for ones made by DT Swiss. However, one can buy the same hubs, spokes, and rims, all labeled as their aftermarket counterparts, built by good wheelbuilders for sometimes even half the price. DT uses tensionmeters, and so do good wheelbuilders, but you can always make sure.

I would recommend if you really don't want to deal with anyone, just go to universal or CRC, put in the wheelbuilder and be done with it.

As far as Mavic spokes go, they'll run 10-20 USD per spoke afermarket, and then there's the wait time to get them. I9 can be off and on with their supply as well. Their spokes are not cheap, either. Then there are the ones in between, like Crank and Shimano. Odd that crank doesn't have the spokes. Makes me believe if one has a problem, they're going to require the whole wheel be sent in for either a replacement (don't they also claim some special process for spoke insertion as well?) or crash replacement.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
JC is correct....

this is the basic problem with high bling propietary wheels, getting replacement parts. Shimano is no different than any of the rest either. You have to get the spokes and/or other parts directly from them, and they don't sell to the consumer direct. So you are stuck going through the LBS, and waiting for Shimano to ship, etc. We've waited up to 6 weeks at the shop to get in spokes for Shimano wheels before.

So if your not an "LBS type of guy" then order your components online and build your own, or order up a custom built set to your spec from an online retailer. IMHO a little "bling" isn't worth the hassle when it comes time to replace a spoke or other proprietary bit.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I guess those wheels are out now. Strange that Shimano doesn't have the spokes available. Found the part number for the M975 wheel spokes and there's only one place online that even has a mention of them. There's the Mavic Protection Plan I could get and send the wheel back if something happened but that's not what I really want. I bet Crank Brothers would fix the wheel the same way as well. Oh well, I'll start looking around for something that I know is readily available. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.