Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
I ran a pair of maddux explorers on my turner sultan. I used them for a 3 XC races and a few trail rides while I waited for a set of custom wheels.

They are pretty decent, nothing terribly wrong with them. Regarding their 24 spoke design, they are not too flexy for XC riding, in fact I hadn't notice any flex until I switched wheels to the I9 AM wheels (awesome wheels btw). At 180+ lbs i'm not that light, and quite sloppy in the rough, yet no problems...

Regardless, I'm not sure what other wheelset options you might have at the $180/pair level.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would you recommend, and how much am I looking at spending to get a good (not the best) but good wheelset. I might as well hold off a little and get something good. I got Alex wheels right now (stock) and was thinking about getting something tougher as I'm slowly starting to beat my bike as I'm getting more comfortable riding and especially beating my rims out on the Single Track. I like to jump over stuff on frequently do 1-3 foot jumps/drops. My current wheels are okay, but I'm afraid they will give up on me one day 10 miles out from the trail head. BTW, I'm 180 lbs and that probably doesn't help either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.