Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I've come across hunt's endurowide wheels, which seem nice, but i've been turned away from those because of people on this forum seemingly looking down on hunt wheels or there just not being a lot of people that have had experience with those wheels.

Sunringle's duroc sd37 and maybe duroc 40 also fit the bill, but i've heard that those hubs aren't very good.

Most of all i'd prefer to buy dt swiss wheels, because of their somewhat good reputation, but they are heavier for the same price than hunt's wheels, and they only sell 29 inch wheels with a max of 30mm wide rims.

I'd like this specific rim size for 2.6-2-8 inch tires. Is there even a noticable benefit to going over 30i rims for those tires, or am i just whining too much about getting the right rim diameter? I've seen people here swear by 35i rims for those sizes, which is why i'm looking at rims wider than 30i.

My budget is about €300-€500.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
It depends on the tire. Some 2.6 are fine on 30mm - Conti Mountain King, Specialized tires. Other 2.6 need wider, and then there are the 2.8. A versatile width would be 35 rear, 40 front. No, I can't rec a wheelset for that. But I think you can have one built for 500 on DT350 or some mid grade hub.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you reccomend a wheelset that is 35i front, 35i rear? Or if i get a wheel built up, where would you reccomend i do it, and what rims would you reccomend? I've heard good things about the wtb asym rims, but i'd also like my rims to be pretty light since i'm not a heavy rider.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also had a look at the hope fortus 35 - pro 4, but they are quite heavy at 2200g for the wheelset. Hunt's endurowide wheelset comes in at 2064, and only costs about €400 vs hope's €500, so i'm not sure that the extra 2mm in rim width is worth the extra cost and weight. Hope hubs do have a good reputation though.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
I would contact Wayne at Speadgear Bikes and see what he can do for ya. Great wheelbuilder and ships all over the world for great prices. IMHO Raceface arc 35s laced to dt 350's would be in your price range and be a pretty bomber set at a decent weight.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Regarding rim width....

I run both i30 and i35 rims. There is a difference.

Overall the tires of the 2.5" WT, 2.6", and I suspect large tires like 2.8 will feel better. More cush, more traction, more sidewall support. But I do think you get a tire that then rolls a bit slower (I think) and a heavier wheel.

On my AM-trail bike I run i35s.

On my xc-trail bike I run i30s.

All that said, I don't think there is that much difference on a 2.5 to 2.6" tire. For a 2.8 I'd even argue that an i35 is less than ideal.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Like post # 6 i would say 35 for traction, 30-32 for speed. I like my 40 for 3.0 and 2.8 great traction and with proper tires i get good rolling and traction these 2 work together. When on a budget look for take off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.