Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Relentless forward motion
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TIA

I have a 26'r wheelset that has evolved into garage wall ornaments. They are ZTR Olympics with Chris King disk hubs (one season used) with a Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph latexed to the rims (2 races on each tire). ...and 26rs are dead to me LOL.

On my 29'r (Mamasita HT), I use Bonty RXLs (I think 08 models, they definately have the DT240 hubs, and I like them, but I like the King Hubs slightly more). I use the wheelset for XC and for Racing (Only have one 29r wheelset right now, and I am looking to go lighter for racing).

I am not hard on equipment, 150lbs in full kit, more of a finesse rider through the technical (versus bashing, which is cool too), Colorado terrain, like to climb the most.

What should I do?

Fleebay the 26'r wheelset and go with a Notubes 355/ZTR rim-hub combo (alt: Hope hubs) at a very reasonable price.
Keep the Bontys for XC, Cut out the CK hubs, rebuild them with some 29'r 355s (will cost me about $300 bucks or so for everything, and about $120 for the new rubber). Use them for racing only.
Fleebay the 26'r wheels and keep rolling on the Bontys, use the cash for some Bonty 29-0 rubber and call it good... keep the left over coin.

All suggestions welcome!

I will cross post in the wheel forum as well (that may be a more appropriate place)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah why not just purchase a set of ZTR 355 29ers or Crest 29ers and then unlace your old wheels and lace the Kings into the new Stans 29er rims? That would make way more sense to me. I wouldn't give up the engagement of a King hub that I already had to go to the crappier engaging ZTR or Hope ( I believe they both feature 24pts of engagement.)

That's just me though. I love my King hubs even though they are heavier than DT's or American Classics. I would rather have Chris King bearings and 72pts of engagement with nice big aluminum axles.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just purchased some Flows rims, and am mounting my lightly used 240s (rear w/upgrade rachet kit) off my 26'r Crossmax set. I'll figure out what to do with the Mavic set later.I do have a new DT340 laying around. Maybe go that way.

·
Registered
463 Posts
TerryD said:
Curious to know if the rachet is noticable to you. I have several bikes with 240s and recently got the upgrade. Not sure what to install it on, but was thinking SS.
Very noticable. I have this hub / upgrade on two wheelsets, one race and the flows will go on my semi-all mountain 29'r. Like stra819, I also go about 150. We have alot of climbs around here of 2000 to 4000 feet, and we do not shuttle. That means climbing long techy stuff, before the downhill foolishness. The quick engagement is a huge benefit. I don't know of a better upgrade for the price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
reuse + resale

Use any of the spoke calculators to "measure" the spoke length for both sets of your wheels with swapped hubs. If you get the same sizes to what's already laced put apart your wheels (if sizes differ beyond 2 mm you may be better leaving it the way it is - good spokes tend to be pricey). Next use 29er rims and spokes (from the wheels you currently ride) with King's hubs, relace the 26 ones with DT hubs, sell 26" wheelset, keep the change.
This way you'll keep the parts you like, invest 0$ (but your time/labor), clear the junk off your garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.