Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Relentless forward motion
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TIA

I have a 26'r wheelset that has evolved into garage wall ornaments. They are ZTR Olympics with Chris King disk hubs (one season used) with a Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph latexed to the rims (2 races on each tire). ...and 26rs are dead to me LOL.

On my 29'r (Mamasita HT), I use Bonty RXLs (I think 08 models, they definately have the DT240 hubs, and I like them, but I like the King Hubs slightly more). I use the wheelset for XC and for Racing (Only have one 29r wheelset right now, and I am looking to go lighter for racing).

I am not hard on equipment, 150lbs in full kit, more of a finesse rider through the technical (versus bashing, which is cool too), Colorado terrain, like to climb the most.

What should I do?

Fleebay the 26'r wheelset and go with a Notubes 355/ZTR rim-hub combo (alt: Hope hubs) at a very reasonable price.
Keep the Bontys for XC, Cut out the CK hubs, rebuild them with some 29'r 355s (will cost me about $300 bucks or so for everything, and about $120 for the new rubber). Use them for racing only.
Fleebay the 26'r wheels and keep rolling on the Bontys, use the cash for some Bonty 29-0 rubber and call it good... keep the left over coin.

All suggestions welcome!

Origional post in 29r forum.

·
Relentless forward motion
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
92gli said:
Are you sure the 355/king iso combo is going to end up lighter than the bontys ? I have a feeling they won't if the bonty hubs are dt 240s.
No, I'm not sure. The big advantage of the Kings is the engagement of the rear hub. Hence the question... will it really be worth it... or just sell the 26rs off. The Bonty 29-0 rubber is like 410-450grams (I understand)... so the wieght of the rubber is covered (versus the Racing Ralphs I would put in the 355s if I build 'em up).

I am certain they are the 240s.

:madman: I dunno... what to do... or if I should even care given the Bontys are excellent (that's what I got 'em... at a killer price).

·
West Chester, PA
5,003 Posts
Ok, then my opinion is to just sell the kings. DTs are great hubs. Do you know that you can make them 36 pt engagement now ? They have new star ratchets available for about $30, makes a big difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.