Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here... figured I'd post this question here as it's a pretty general one about wheelsets. I've just bought a 2nd hand but virtually unridden 2018 Giant Trance 2 (completely stock apart from dropper thumb lever) and upgrade-itis is hitting already! Wheels seem to be a weak point on these so that's probably where I'll start and since I have no idea what I'm looking at I'm just after some suggestions to put me on the right track.

I ride fire trails and singletrack, I like semi-technical stuff and DH-style but I don't go big... 3-4ft drops are probably my limit, and I'll hit tabletops and hips of almost any size but I stay clear of gaps. But I want this bike to be more oriented towards singletrack cruising, I have an old Reign XO that I can bust out if I want to send it.

So with all that in mind what I want from the new wheelset is an improvement in trail riding and climbing, so probably focusing more on reducing weight rather than increasing strength. I'm 85-90kg if that's important..

Happy to include new tyres as part of the build. Driveline parts are all virtually new so would prefer to re-use as much as I can, I might think about a driveline upgrade when the existing chain/cassette/chainring start wearing but I don't have funds to do both now.

Budget is around $500aud.

Since I have literally no idea what I'm looking at, even just general info would be handy at the moment... just looking to narrow down options at the moment.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same bike, even the new dropper lever, and can confirm the wheels are questionable. Mine are full of dents and have had to beat about a dozen rim strikes back straight on the back. I think a bearing was bad from the factory.

Mu opinion? The bike begs to have the piss ridden out of it and I would do that until you are forced to spend the money. I don't think that new, slightly lighter wheels would improve the ride experience much at all.

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike begs to have the piss ridden out of it and I would do that until you are forced to spend the money.
That's *probably* what I'll end up doing, I just want to start thinking about it now.. that way I have something to put money away for so I don't end up pissing it away on little stuff lol :)

What size tires do you like to run?

One of the best value wheelsets are the Ibis house brand wheels.
933 Aluminum Wheelset - Ibis Cycles Online Store

Slightly more expensive are the Industrly Nine S 101 series wheelsets:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/12/in...o-new-level-of-hub-affordability-performance/
Thanks for the ideas, I'll look into them. No idea on tyre size.. was on Minions on my Reign but they'd be older ones, probably five or so years old (maybe a little more). Don't really have a preference, happy to be guided by the responses here. FYI the Trance comes with 2.4" High Roller II's and I can't say I have an opinion either way on them yet as I've only got a few rides on them so far.

Should I think about the drivetrain upgrade at the same time? I'd rather do them separately (if I do the drivetrain at all) but if my choice of hub affects what cassettes I can run or vice versa then it may make sense to do them all together..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mercury Enduro...great reviews and cheap on sale at Competitive Cyclist. $320usd... sign up on their email list and should get another 20% off...
Thanks, price looks OK but shipping to Aus from USA might be prohibitive...

Can anyone link me to good articles on things like how to build wheelsets or how hubs work, stuff like that? The suggestions are good but I still don't know what I'm looking at, and Google is just turning up "best wheels of 2019" crap that gives me tons of Amazon affiliate links and no actual useful information...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.