Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started by looking at more moderately priced wheelsets for my new bike but as usual, I convinced myself to spend more than I should spend......since I figured I would go up in price I was wondering what you think about the pros and cons of these, or other wheelsets in this category of "good light wheelsets"

*Crossmax Sl
*Mavic 517 w/ King Hubs
*Mavic 517 w/ XTR Hubs (least expensive by quite a bit)
*Bontrager Race X Lite
* ??????

These will be for a hardtail that I am "trying" to build up to be raced occassionaly and used for non technical rides (just fireroads and general singletrack). I weight about 175 pounds.

Thanks for any guidance you may have as I am simply not educated about what I gain with one of these types of wheelsets over the others.

Cheers
 

·
Get your freak on!
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
FoShizzle said:
I started by looking at more moderately priced wheelsets for my new bike but as usual, I convinced myself to spend more than I should spend......since I figured I would go up in price I was wondering what you think about the pros and cons of these, or other wheelsets in this category of "good light wheelsets"

*Crossmax Sl
*Mavic 517 w/ King Hubs
*Mavic 517 w/ XTR Hubs (least expensive by quite a bit)
*Bontrager Race X Lite
* ??????

These will be for a hardtail that I am "trying" to build up to be raced occassionaly and used for non technical rides (just fireroads and general singletrack). I weight about 175 pounds.

Thanks for any guidance you may have as I am simply not educated about what I gain with one of these types of wheelsets over the others.

Cheers
I'd go King, not the lightest but the best in every other way(except cost). And get them built by a good wheel builder!:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,610 Posts
Kings will be the best. You might consider Hope XC hubs which are much less expensive and seem to be very reliable.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
517 w/xtr are hard to beat

FoShizzle said:
I started by looking at more moderately priced wheelsets for my new bike but as usual, I convinced myself to spend more than I should spend......since I figured I would go up in price I was wondering what you think about the pros and cons of these, or other wheelsets in this category of "good light wheelsets"

*Crossmax Sl
*Mavic 517 w/ King Hubs
*Mavic 517 w/ XTR Hubs (least expensive by quite a bit)
*Bontrager Race X Lite
* ??????

These will be for a hardtail that I am "trying" to build up to be raced occassionaly and used for non technical rides (just fireroads and general singletrack). I weight about 175 pounds.

Thanks for any guidance you may have as I am simply not educated about what I gain with one of these types of wheelsets over the others.

Cheers
Sure the others are a little better but a lot more$$, if you really want to save some dough check out Supergo, XT's on 517s $139.00
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are probably right...

Bike Nazi said:
Sure the others are a little better but a lot more$$, if you really want to save some dough check out Supergo, XT's on 517s $139.00
You know...you are probably right. I should consider XT level wheelsets which dollar for dollar, make a heck of a lot more sense.

However, I am very ashamed to admit, I have been pulled into the tractor-beam of the "weight-weenies" on this project bike. While the extremely small logical part of my brain agrees with you I am pretty convinced to go light on this wheelset. But I do agree with your subject line indicating XTR is a good way to go. I NEVER see anybody recommend XTR hubs. Is there a legitimate reason or is is simply that King has a virtual cult following in terms of believers. I am sure this hits a nerve on some folks but everybody seems to love King stuff, which I am sure is great, but what really makes it so great? Are other hubs truly that inferior and is there any data to support its superiority?

It looks like some 517 w/ XTR 960 hubs are on sale for $239.99 which is over $200 less than the same setup with King hubs and end up being only 70 grams or so heavier in total I believe. Is there something "wrong" with XTR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Yes, there's something terrible about XTRs

FoShizzle said:
You know...you are probably right. I should consider XT level wheelsets which dollar for dollar, make a heck of a lot more sense.

However, I am very ashamed to admit, I have been pulled into the tractor-beam of the "weight-weenies" on this project bike. While the extremely small logical part of my brain agrees with you I am pretty convinced to go light on this wheelset. But I do agree with your subject line indicating XTR is a good way to go. I NEVER see anybody recommend XTR hubs. Is there a legitimate reason or is is simply that King has a virtual cult following in terms of believers. I am sure this hits a nerve on some folks but everybody seems to love King stuff, which I am sure is great, but what really makes it so great? Are other hubs truly that inferior and is there any data to support its superiority?

It looks like some 517 w/ XTR 960 hubs are on sale for $239.99 which is over $200 less than the same setup with King hubs and end up being only 70 grams or so heavier in total I believe. Is there something "wrong" with XTR?
They're made by Shimano.

Chris King hubs have more bling bling factor than XTR hubs...
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top