Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'm in...
311 Posts
One needs an adaptor for your disc brakes and one does not. The ISO ones are pretty much the ones you should go for.

I have an ISO set of Kings on my Chameleon and if you can, pony up the extra cash and go for the King Stainless steel drive shell with fun bolts. I also had a set of Hope wheels with a QR rear, and there is an obvious big difference and it's worth it. Also, if you have a 15mm thru axle front fork, go for the LD front hub vs the SD. If you get the SD front, you will be stuck with 15mm front or standard QR. I don't know about you but QR is dead to me so the LD front would at least let you upgrade to a 20mm TA if ever needed.

Just a thought before you drop the big bucks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have both. The universal has smaller diameter flanges so they might be weaker, in theory. Both types are supposed to use the same bearings, axles and freehub and use the same tools to maintain.

I never had any problems with either.

Here's the Specs for the hubs:
http://chrisking.com/specs/hubs_all

You didn't mention how you are going to ride XC, AM, DJ.

The universals and ISO can be converted from QR to 15mm thru so they should hold up to XC and AM.

If everything being equal, I would go with the ISO but if you can get a good deal on the universals then go for that.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for both for your help.

To the front it needs to be QR because i have a QR suspension.
But for the front i am going to use a dt swiss 440 hub that i already have.
The use it is going to be AM and a bit of DJ.

The universal question is because i would probably get a better deal for it.

Many thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.