Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just pick up a pair of 2007 Rock shox Pike 454 U-turn forks off E-Bay.

Now Im looking for a cost effective wheel set to comliment them, I really do not need DH strengh or weight. just something that can handle heavy XC in mudding conditions.

Bike is an 05 Enduro BTW if that makes a differance
thanx

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
That Redline wheelset is really cheap.... no idea on durability...

a mid price wheelset I would recommend is Hope Pro 2s with DT 5.1 rims.. (I love mine), both hubs are convertible to through axle/QR

It just depends on what "cost effective" means to you moneywise

·
1,247 Posts
i 2nd the 5.1d rims. I will be rebuilding my 2nd wheelset with the white syncros ds28 soon.. both are 28mm, but the ds28 are about 40g heavier. Both on Hadleys of course ;)

·
MTB Monkey
339 Posts
I just got a set of Easton Havocs from Pricepoint for $450. Nice and stiff, comes with quick releases and 20mm adaptor. Rear hub is very quiet. We'll see how they hold up, but I'm impressed so far.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
If you're in Wales...

have you tried ChainReactionCycles.com. I know they have a DaBomb wheelset for pretty cheap that includes tires and would ship for free I think...

·
Registered
345 Posts
unfluid one said:
i 2nd the 5.1d rims. I will be rebuilding my 2nd wheelset with the white syncros ds28 soon.. both are 28mm, but the ds28 are about 40g heavier. Both on Hadleys of course ;)
Where did you find the DS28 in white? I haven't been able to locate them yet...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Jefe74 said:
I just got a set of Easton Havocs from Pricepoint for $450. Nice and stiff, comes with quick releases and 20mm adaptor. Rear hub is very quiet. We'll see how they hold up, but I'm impressed so far.
I 2nd this one!! I have a set of Easton Havocs and they're pretty stiff wheelset..

·
Registered
336 Posts
I commented on a different thread about the RedLine wheels. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=255684 If you are on a budget, they are not bad. Honestly, a comparable wheelset will cost you well over $200. They are on the XC side of AM even at 2300g per set. If you want something a little more durable, I reccomend the Performance LOCO. The hubs are a bit better.

I have since replaced the cheap with the expensive. I just purchased a set of CrossMax SX. I pick them up on Thursday. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
boomer
888 Posts
I've been quite partial to my Bontrager's I got on eBay for cheap. Here's a set like mine: LINK I think I got mine in the $225 range and they've held up to my big ol' butt for about 18 months without a single touch from a spoke wrench. I can't say the same for my old XM819's.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ChipV said:
Blue Sky Cyclinjg has 36h Saint/ Rhynolight wheelsets for $159. I bought a set and they seem pretty sweet.
You'll probably need "OS centerlock" rotors for those.... I don't know if there is a "centerlock to 6 bolt adapter" for the OS centerlock that saints have...

·
Registered
954 Posts
crisillo said:
You'll probably need "OS centerlock" rotors for those.... I don't know if there is a "centerlock to 6 bolt adapter" for the OS centerlock that saints have...
No adaptor for the oversized ones that I have seen yet. No biggie, the rotors can be found for cheap since no one seems to use the hubs lol.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
MonkeyBidnezz said:
No adaptor for the oversized ones that I have seen yet. No biggie, the rotors can be found for cheap since no one seems to use the hubs lol.
Yeah.. the only problem is that Shimano seems to have a thinner braking track than most other brands, so it gives uneven pad wear on some other brake brands....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.