Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am running this wheelset with M775 hubs (centerlock) at an advertised weight of around 1960g. I have nothing to complain about this wheelset. They have been rocksolid and true. I really feel that I can get a good return on selling them as well, so I am looking at upgrading to a tubeless setup...

I am a 150lb XC rider looking for something reliable, strong, and light. I've looked at the C29SSmaxx wheelsets but then found these:

http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/42_44/products_id/474

Excellent price, excellent weight, Tubeless UST, but are they any good? Anyone been running Stan's rims with their house ZTR hubs that can shed some light on the quality?

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Loggahead said:
Excellent price, excellent weight, Tubeless UST, but are they any good? Anyone been running Stan's rims with their house ZTR hubs that can shed some light on the quality?
For clarification: The ztr rims can be set up tubeless(rather easily), but they are not to be confused with UST. The benefit of the stans rims is that they work tubeless with a wide variety of non-tubeless/non-ust tires.

As far as true UST goes, there are not a lot of tire options for the 29....yet.

I have no experience with the ztr hubs, but I have not heard good things about the Stan's wheel builds. I run Flow's and have not had issues with my 26" set - hardly have any miles on my 29er set(just built up)

·
Hassan's Ghost
288 Posts
I love mine (355s and ZTRs). They've been great for the past season of hard and, often, wet riding. Trued once up front and once out back all season long (the back does have a flat spot but it's my fault... mis-landed wheely drop onto a sharp egded rock while running 20psi... too low for that area).

Good luck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think the consensus around here is that Stan's makes great rims (just pick one based on your size/riding style) but don't have them built by Stan's. Buy a rim, pick a hub based on your budget and have a reputable builder but the wheelset together for you. Mikesee is the popular choice around here as far as wheel guys go.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I only run stans wheelsets built by Stans. They have been extremely reliable and they are the best rim to setup up Tubeless with non tubeless tires.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just built my 29er and on recomendation of friends went with ZTR and Arch from Stans. Love them. I'm 170 lbs, if I was 150 I would go with 355. Ran MAVICs for years on 26er, Sl & ST and also on roadie. I love them, no problems, but I've got two buddies that went with Mavic's 29er version and they've both broken rear spokes. Replacements aren't common nor readily available.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I am 175 lbs and just built another set and love them. Hope front, Laserdisc rear, supercomp 3x, alloy nips and they came in at 1630 grams.....no i did not remove decals :D. Would have done the ztr hubs but i am cheap and build my own "tru-lame" (tm) wheels.
At your weight check the ZTR Crest rims you can come in at ~1500 grams for a wheelset and they will be fairly stiff (I suspect stiff as 355's because of increased tire bead width expansion (inner is 21 instead of 19 on ztrs). They get the weight reduction by being 10% less tall so loose 40-50 grams per rim.
For u is way to go. Hell at your weight I would even go notubes race wheelset for your race set and ztrs for all around. Search function works pretty well on this bb software. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=586042

·
Registered
5 Posts
My ZTRs have been fantastic. I weight about 195 and I have a set of Arch rims laced to ZTR hubs on my steel 29er. I just ordered the wheels from Stans all built up and ready to go, including the tubeless goodies. They were about $450 as I recall, and lighter than anything else I could put together for anywhere near that price. The hubs are barely heavier than DT 240s, but the ZTR wheelset will cost about $300 less. I shopped around a lot, read a lot, and when I found that deal I was pretty sold. My only hesitation was that the hubs were brand new that year and there was nothing out there about them. I took the chance to save the cash and I have been super happy. I ride the sh!t out of my bikes and I am not a small guy. Last season I did the 24hrs of Moab, several XTERRAs, plus several hundred miles of training. The wheels are as true as the day I bought them, and they roll as smooth as ever. What the hell else could I ask out of a wheelset?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I am (soon) going to have Stans build two wheelsets for me, I'm 170lbs I do 24 hour racing
I told them that I used to race supper D and that I raced motocross and where I have been finshing when racing bicycles. So they told me to go with this "Arch rims with ZTR hubs"
1614grams.. Of course! I wanted the 1350 gram wheelset but "he said not recommended.

Now! I am reading this & thinking what are the 355s, so I went to notubes and had a look.
The 355 weigh is 60 grams less per rim..

So I am New to the 29er mtb world so help me, why would I want one over the other, I would like to save 120grams if I can for about the same $$$.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks, I was just over at the Notubes site and did the wheel weight calculator,
it's about 100 grams more for the Arch wheelset than they told me on the phone the other day.. I know what I'll do!!! I am getting two wheelsets so I will get one of each.
I think I might be a WW..

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
idinomac said:
Thanks, I was just over at the Notubes site and did the wheel weight calculator,
it's about 100 grams more for the Arch wheelset than they told me on the phone the other day.. I know what I'll do!!! I am getting two wheelsets so I will get one of each.
I think I might be a WW..
Here is some solid evidence of ZTR wheel weights. click me

·
mtb remember
126 Posts
I weigh 175 and have been running ZTR hubs / 355 rims for the last year. Put a lot of miles on in the first few months, before I had to send back my JET frame. I've been very happy - had to true them once (500 miles) but haven't touched them since. As for the hubs, they're basically a rebadged Sun/Ringle Dirty Flea. The only real issues with the Dirty Flea hubs were with the first generation when they used too heavy a grease. The new ones (and the Stans ZTR hub) seem to be pretty solid. I like the engagement, low drag and obviously the weight. Mine were $430 delivered to my door.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.