Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you had a ML that you used mostly for aggressive trail riding...

and you could put any wheels on it you wanted...

what wheels or hub and wheel combination would you go for?

feel free to discuss brake choices, too... please...

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
money is no object.. I9s with DT 5.1d rims

cost effective (my wheelset) Hope Pro 2s on DT 5.1ds:D

Forgot brakes: personally, XT or XTR, Magura Louise or Marta (for DOT fans, Formula Oro)

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Oh yeah, I second the DT5.1 rims.......but the world is your oyster in hubs so pick your poison......CK, DT, Hope, I-9.........I have 3 of the mentioned so each has their own merits so talk to a wheelbuilder for feedback.......

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
DOT is the rating of brake fluid. I think it has something to do with how much heat it can handle before boiling. Formula uses brake fluid instead of mineral oil

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Well unfortunately my King hub refuses to die after almost 8 years of abuse so I'm stuck for the foreseeable future. But I think the I9s look just swell. I am tempted by those DT 4.2 rims though, just as wide as the XM819 only 115g less per rim.

I can't see getting anything other than Louise FR either (smokin' deals out there).

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Homebrew said:
I think the I9s look just swell. I am tempted by those DT 4.2 rims though, just as wide as the XM819 only 115g less per rim.
Hey Homebrew......Here's some temptation for you.......LOL:p

Attachments

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
blackagness said:
Yeah but,I guarantee you no ones been on those 8 yrs.
Yeah, and that's why you don't see me listing my 2 sets of CK wheels for sale either;)

But in the effort of progress, I figured I mayaz well try something new and go back to good ole CK if it fails.........:p

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was faced with essentially the same decision regarding wheel choice. All the ones listed already seemed great - and maybe I would have chosen the I9 on 4.2d if I had seen those yummy pics before I ordered....

But I'm a big NoTubes fan so I went with the new ZTR Arch rim (same width as the DT 4.2d), and since Stan doesn't carry my beloved CK ISO hubs anymore, I went with the Hope Pro II hubs - haven't got them yet but hope to be able to give 'em hell soon. The wheelset weight is pretty decent (in the 1600-1700g range) and SHOULD be bombproof for my type of riding. Price is very good - only $650 a set - and Mike at NoTubes is IMHO one of the better wheel builders in North America.

BTW, the XM819 lists at 465g, while the ZTR Arch and DT 4.2d both list at 400g - so for a semi-WW like me, the XM819 didn't seem like a good choice, especially given that the ZTR Arch rim was billed as being for more aggro XC use. Besides, I've not had any problems with my superlight ZTR Olympic 347 rims anyway.

For brakes, I went with Avid Ultimates (currently also own Hope Mono Minis and Marta SLs), since I often swap around wheels rather than change tires - the Avid setup and adjustment is WAY easier than the others. And as a bonus, they are very light and look sexy too!

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Speeddream's...

King Hubs (20mm front)

Dave Thomas at speeddream on the build with his lacing suggetions and spoke mix.

Either Bonty rims that are tubless compatable, or XM819's.

Though, I'd love if King would come out with a 10mm thru axle of sorts for the rear like the hadley.

·
searcher
874 Posts
I dont have any problem with my XM 819s. The hubs would be Hope pro 2s, but I am still not sure if I could get used to their loud noise... Still thinking.... the XTs gotta go in the spring...:)
As for the brakes: Avid Juicy carbons: the best I have used so far. Only tried Hayes before though..

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
kovi said:
I dont have any problem with my XM 819s. The hubs would be Hope pro 2s, but I am still not sure if I could get used to their loud noise... Still thinking.... the XTs gotta go in the spring...:)
As for the brakes: Avid Juicy carbons: the best I have used so far. Only tried Hayes before though..
Don't sweat it, kovi.... you get used to the "noise" after a while... and the sound is pretty cool! :cool:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
crisillo said:
Don't sweat it, kovi.... you get used to the "noise" after a while... and the sound is pretty cool! :cool:
Yeah... the Hope's "noise" is "loud" but really nice!!!

They're not annoying.

Besides, that reminds you that you should be pedaling... ;)

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Thanks Crisillo and Warp

I was unsure about the Hope/355's, but if you tell me they sound cool, and you get used to it, I'm in. hate to scare the animals and small children on the trail, though.
Are they loud enough that I can dispense with my bell or hooting to warn oncoming bikers/hikers?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.