Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Wheels Manufacturing screw together Bottom Bracket that allows you to fit a 24mm crankset to a PF30 frame. Wheels manufacturing PF30 to Shimano
Product Lens Line Font Cameras & optics

In 8 months I have gone through 3 sets of PF30 bearings and I just want a fit and forget for at least a year BB. Every ride I do I seem to spend half the time listening for the latest creaking or grinding noise as another of SRAMs worst ever designs dies on me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Two options I would recommend:

1) Get a Chris King PF30 BB. Much better bearings, seals and user friendly serviceability (although you have to buy there grease injector nozzle).

2) Praxis BB to run 24mm Shimano spindle with an outboard bearing, IMO their collet system is the best available.

Good luck. Cheers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the heads up on the Praxxis that looks a good system. I had a worry that the Wheels system might unwind itself when I was stomping the pedals as I am a heavy chump, the Praxxis looks like it wouldnt shift if you hit it with a bomb.

westin thank you for the very kind offer but I am in Britain and postage might be a bit too steep, Evans cycles in Britain do it for £56 delivered.

Now the decision do I go for an SLX or XT crank or as its my birthday coming soon XTR :cool:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
After allot of back and forth with my friends at the local shop when I got my Spearfish frame I went with the threaded SRAM PF30 adapter and a normal BB. It hasn't made a sound and I haven't had to replace the BB yet. Seems like the perfect solution to a really stupid problem.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I tried the SRAM threaded adapter before I went with Praxis. It lasted about 6 weeks before the cups went cockeyed in the frame bore. That of course trashed the bearings. Not surprising really. You can't expect a light press fit with plastic cups to stay in place with a large cantilevered load.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I tried the SRAM threaded adapter before I went with Praxis. It lasted about 6 weeks before the cups went cockeyed in the frame bore. That of course trashed the bearings. Not surprising really. You can't expect a light press fit with plastic cups to stay in place with a large cantilevered load.
Sounds like an odd problem to have if it was pressed in properly. I have had mine for about a year now with no problems.

·
Registered
270 Posts
FWIW my Chris King PF30 BB has been bullet proof thus far and is likely a lighter BB set up (no adaptor needed) and allows the use of a 30mm spindle with and inboard bearing. Personally I believe PF 30 BBs will just continue to get better and better as this design becomes more and more widespread in MTB applications. I also agree that Sram PF 30 BBs are crap.

·
Trail Ninja
6,480 Posts
Going Wheels Mfg AC PF30 didn't eliminate all noise on my Spec SJ Evo. The bike makes a slightly dry creak when I torque heavily, such as try to push a high gear up a short climb, to carry speed and not have to lighten up on the pedals to shift. The SRAM one before seemed to do a light click sound every rotation when I put pressure on the left pedal (that set of pedals was quiet on another bike).

I was looking at the Praxis, since I like Shimano cranks better than carbon ones, but they're kind of pricey and were out of stock when I looked.

Note: Playing with the preload adjuster on the SRAM carbon cranks I have now doesn't change the noise issue at all. Running it finger tip snugged, locked down with the set screw, at the moment. The Wheels Mfg BB went in really easily, and the SRAM one slipped out with a few hits with a rubber mallet, using the Park BBT PF30 tool, and torqued down the crankarms to spec with the preload adjuster all the way clockwise. The relatively loose BB fit probably has something to do with the noise, as it seems to rely on the o-ring to fill in the gap.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Going Wheels Mfg AC PF30 didn't eliminate all noise on my Spec SJ Evo. The bike makes a slightly dry creak when I torque heavily, such as try to push a high gear up a short climb, to carry speed and not have to lighten up on the pedals to shift. The SRAM one before seemed to do a light click sound every rotation when I put pressure on the left pedal (that set of pedals was quiet on another bike).

I was looking at the Praxis, since I like Shimano cranks better than carbon ones, but they're kind of pricey and were out of stock when I looked.
Real world cycling one.. better for the $$ any any of the others.. not that they are bad cause they are far from it... but the RWC one is going to cost less for the same or better bearings. and a variety of bearing styles to choose.. Steel, Ceramic class 5 or 3, work just as well... looks better too,.. not that that really matters.

BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING

·
Trail Ninja
6,480 Posts
The Wheels Mfg AC one wasn't too expensive, at $55 shipped from an online dealer (20% off), compared to $62 on RWC's site for a Delrin cupped one. The red anodized aluminum cups attracted my attention.

Not sure why I even posted that. In reality, it's more like the lack of consistently tight tolerance on frames seems to be a problem more than the BBs. One person's experience on a specific brand BB doesn't really mean squat to someone with a frame with carbon PF30 BB shell, which was made with a tolerance of +/-0.5mm or whatever it is. Not sure how well a woven carbon weave holds its shape either, compared to other materials.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
wow, that's a good price for the Wheel's one.. most of what I've seen it was in the mid $80's..

I'm a fan of the RWC more because it's the only BB I haven't had to replace every 6 months.. honestly, I just got a brand new set of cranks and used the 5 year of RWC BB as it runs smoother than the stock Sram POS LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.