1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Neibe said:
I ride a 29er am 6-4 240 lbs. WTB wheels are breaking spokes 5 so far.
Spokes break because they are improperly tensioned, generally too low of tension. Also, generic spokes have much higher failure rates than DT Swiss or Wheelsmith.

The problem isn't the WTB rims, its the wheel build and/or the spokes. Get a handbuilt wheelset by a competent wheel builder using quality spokes and you'll be fine. The suggested Kris Holm rims are serious overkill IMO and won't prevent broken spokes if they're not built properly. For your size a mid-weight rim such as a Mavic TN719, WTB Laserdisc Trail, Velocity P35, NoTubes Flow, or Salsa Semi would work fine with DT Comps or Wheelsmith DB14 spokes.
:thumbsup:

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Iluv2adjust said:
I am around the 240 lb range and have a set of Velocity Blunts with XT hubs. I heard they are pretty durable, but only time will tell.
Most of the bigger guys go through XT freehubs like crazy. My XT freehub was fine, but I blew the bearings out of the hub in about six months. Might want to ask over in Wheels what the sturdiest cartridge bearing hub is. Personally, I got a screaming deal on some SRAM 9.0SL hubs that I've never had a problem with.

·
Underskilled
4,812 Posts
I was 240lb and ride 29er.

The best rims I have used by a mile is the Kris Holm.
I use both the XC and the FR, I prefer the FR.

+1 on double butt DT spokes.

The FR rim is massively stiff laterally (so it turns amazingly, nothing as stiff as this)
in line with the wheel there is a bit of flex, add this into DB spokes and you have a good mix.

When the wheel takes a big hit, in flexes slightly, bounces back undamaged.

I have given mine a ton of abuse, not even a mark on the rim.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
heff® said:
Most of the bigger guys go through XT freehubs like crazy.
Untrue :nono:

Some bigger guys have repeated issues with them. Not sure why, but I am guessing they have gotten a bad combination of worst case tolerance between the hub body and freehub. Or they are just animals who ride very hard. By in large, for the number of XT hubs out on the trail they are very reliable.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
AL29er said:
Untrue :nono:

Some bigger guys have repeated issues with them. Not sure why, but I am guessing they have gotten a bad combination of worst case tolerance between the hub body and freehub. Or they are just animals who ride very hard. By in large, for the number of XT hubs out on the trail they are very reliable.
/shrug dunno for sure. That's more from experience around my area than here, remember, I haven't logged in here in about five years. By all rights, the hubs I'm on should have dissolved under my weight, they're ligher weight racing hubs. But they work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Disappointed...I Broke a Spoke!

Alright, I hoped that it wouldnt happen but figured that it was inevitable. I am a big guy and a stock $400 bike had to give in sometime. I am just disappointed that it happened soo soon.

After riding a few days on an un-true rear wheel (happened when I rode on my first off-road trail), I broke a spoke yesterday during the beginning of my 7.5 mile route (all city exercise route). When I got back, I notice a lot of the spokes are also loose. I can wiggle them with my fingers. Conversely, the fronts (which are still true) are tight and has no play. The battle I am fighting is either replacing the 32 spokes with something better/tougher, or consider a better all around package (at least for the rear). I am hearing $200-$300 for a decent wheelset that includes a better hub, 36 spoke count, and maybe a better rim, But will stronger spokes for a guy of my heft be fine if I manage the spokes better after each ride?

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
djjr50 said:
Alright, I hoped that it wouldnt happen but figured that it was inevitable. I am a big guy and a stock $400 bike had to give in sometime. I am just disappointed that it happened soo soon.

After riding a few days on an un-true rear wheel (happened when I rode on my first off-road trail), I broke a spoke yesterday during the beginning of my 7.5 mile route (all city exercise route). When I got back, I notice a lot of the spokes are also loose. I can wiggle them with my fingers. Conversely, the fronts (which are still true) are tight and has no play. The battle I am fighting is either replacing the 32 spokes with something better/tougher, or consider a better all around package (at least for the rear). I am hearing $200-$300 for a decent wheelset that includes a better hub, 36 spoke count, and maybe a better rim, But will stronger spokes for a guy of my heft be fine if I manage the spokes better after each ride?
Mmmm..........well, you're twice my weight, so I can imagine a stock $400 bike wheel would konk out on you pretty quickly. 14 gauge is about the biggest diameter spoke you're gonna get, just stick with straight gauge on those. There'll be some argument about that, and to be honest, my wheelset is laced with 14/15 Wheelsmith double butted spokes now. Read the "half your weight" part, though. Don't feel bad, I'm 5" shorter than you, too. DH rim, no question. I prefer the Rhyno Lite myself, makes for a good, stiff wheel, but you may actually want to go a bit stronger. I've never had a Rhyno flake out on me, though, and I ride a heck of a lot harder. I'm not too up on pure DH rims, but those would likely be too wide for your frame, anyway. Maybe a set of Mavic DeeTrax? 32 spoke, though........

Yeah, if you manage the spokes well, and make sure they're properly tensioned, you shouldn't have a problem. I've been on plenty of rides where guys 40 pounds lighter than my 210 broke numerous spokes due to uneven tension, and guys with more heft than me bombing on 32 straight gauge spokes without an issue.

Off-topic, watch your fork closely, especially after off-road excursions. That shouldn't come as a surprise, though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have heard of the Rhyno Lites in another thread, and wondered if the rim had more to do with the broken spokes than the spokes themselves. I probably shoudlve addressed the spokes when I first noticed the rim was un-true last weekend.

Is there something I can be doing to keep the spokes tight, or would I cause more trouble by doing it myself? I dont want to have to take it to a LBS everytime I notice some loose spokes.

And what about my fork? I would LOVE to put a stiffer sprint in that Dart 1, but I havent found any leads on if it was possible.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
djjr50 said:
I have heard of the Rhyno Lites in another thread, and wondered if the rim had more to do with the broken spokes than the spokes themselves. I probably shoudlve addressed the spokes when I first noticed the rim was un-true last weekend.

Is there something I can be doing to keep the spokes tight, or would I cause more trouble by doing it myself? I dont want to have to take it to a LBS everytime I notice some loose spokes.

And what about my fork? I would LOVE to put a stiffer sprint in that Dart 1, but I havent found any leads on if it was possible.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=14119

Pop the caps and see which you have. You'll want to email or call before ordering, though. The Dart 1 is OEM only, and comes in both 80mm and 100mm travel. Make sure you're getting the correct spring.

My main concern about that fork for you is its design for your size. It's an entry level fork, light trail riding for average sized (150-175 pound) riders......you're way over the limit there. I'm concerned it'll just up and snap on you if you hit a harder trail.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will definitely keep the shock in mind. So far, I have only ridden off road once, and it was a leisurely (read: mostly smooth) park trail. I am trying to drop some lbs so I can entertain some real mountain (or more appropriate in Fla, Off Roading) riding! It would just be nice if the fork didnt compress so much during regular riding.

I havent called my LBS yet, but what do you think the going rate is to replace and re-lace my rear wheel with those 14gauge spokes? I need something to shoot for, so I can try to set aside that money during our anniversary trip! :p

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
djjr50 said:
I will definitely keep the shock in mind. So far, I have only ridden off road once, and it was a leisurely (read: mostly smooth) park trail. I am trying to drop some lbs so I can entertain some real mountain (or more appropriate in Fla, Off Roading) riding! It would just be nice if the fork didnt compress so much during regular riding.

I havent called my LBS yet, but what do you think the going rate is to replace and re-lace my rear wheel with those 14gauge spokes? I need something to shoot for, so I can try to set aside that money during our anniversary trip! :p
Not much, if you stick with 32 hole..........you'll need hubs to go 36 spoke, obviously. Rhynos go for around $27 each, good ole' Wheelsmith or DT spokes are $8 or so for a box of 20, 14 gauge straight (quick lookaround didn't find the 13/14's mentioned, Sapims run more (honestly, I forgot about them...........) so probably $20 or so for 20. $120 for a set of Shimano XT disk hubs. Not the sturdiest, but they do hold up well. Anything sturdier is gonna run you double, even WTB Super Duty hubs are $135 each. Kinda depends. I'd think you'd be fine with the XT's. Anything's going to barf on you at some point. Hopes would be good, too. I wouldn't go too nuts, once you start riding harder, you're going to want to think about a stiffer, thru-axle fork and hub. Build cost........I honestly can't remember, I've built my own for ten years, thanks to Mike T. I think I paid $20 a wheel in '00, though.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Depending on your budget you can get a new rear wheel for a couple hundred or less that would be tough. I think that biggest problem is that your stock wheels are machine built and possibly 15g rather than a recommend 14g and 32 spoke isn't helping. At any rate you could grab a Sun Rhyno Lite XL Rim, Shimano XT Rear Disc Hub, some DT Swiss double butted spokes with brass nipples, and have them hand built and that should give you a much better wheel than stock for not a lot of money.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Nubster said:
Depending on your budget you can get a new re-wheel for a couple hundred that would be tough. I think that biggest problem is that your stock wheels are machine built and possibly 15g rather than a recommend 14g. At any rate you could grab a Sun Rhyno Lite XL Rim, Shimano XT Rear Disc Hub, some DT Swiss double butted spokes with brass nipples, and have them hand built and that should give you a much better wheel than stock for not a lot of money.
Can we say identical recommendations? :D He'd have to swap the front hub as well, it's a 32 hole. Given the flex of the fork, the stronger front lacing would help with that, somewhat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.