Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good set of wheels to throw onto my Dawg Primo frame when I build it.

I'm thinking either Crossmax XLs or build a wheelset using Hope Bulb hubs and Mavic 717 Rims.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
829 Posts
robdamanii said:
I'm looking for a good set of wheels to throw onto my Dawg Primo frame when I build it.

I'm thinking either Crossmax XLs or build a wheelset using Hope Bulb hubs and Mavic 717 Rims.

Any thoughts?
Bulbs are preaty heavey hard core stuff ..how about the new Deetracks from mavic ...or hope pro's on 325 rims ...thats whats on my Dawg.

Or Bontrager big Earl's are ment to be good and quite cheap.

·
Webtoes
94 Posts
robdamanii said:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH609A04-Shimano+Xt+756+Rhynolite+Xl+Dt+Wheelset.aspx

You're talking about those I assume? They aren't exactly light by any means. And in no way do I want anything to do with shimano hubs.
I have just had a pair of wheels made; Mavic XM819 Disc Rims, DT Swiss Comp spokes, alloy nipples, and Chris King hubs for my 04 Dawg. The CK hubs won't allow you to hit the dollar amount you want to spend but, what I wanted to comment on was the Mavic 717. I went with the XM 819 because it is much stronger with a marginal weight penalty compared with the 717. I had problems previously with other rims and wanted something that would stand up to some abuse and so far the XM819 have been great. My friend just ordered a set of XM819 laced to Hadleys for his Jamis XLT2.0. If weight is not a huge concern but strength is, then I would consider the All Mountain XM819 with your choice of other wheel components to get to that dollar amount you have budgeted for.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I would think seriously about the Crossmax XLs. I had a customer bring his bike in that had those. He had broken a spoke, which is definately bound to happen eventually. He does race this bike, so he has crashed a few times, not to mention gotten some pedals jammed into his spokes. That was the first time anything snapped.

What impressed me was how straight that wheel was with a missing spoke, even after he rode back to the trailhead. Due to the way the spokes go in those things, he was never in danger of the spoke flying out sideways and getting jammed in the frame or derailleur. He simply stopped, removed the spoke, and kept riding. Then, when he brought the bike to me, all I had to do was pop a new spoke in and tension it. Didn't have to remove the tire, cassette, or brake rotor. I had the new spoke in and the wheel trued up in just a couple of minutes.

Another cool thing about Mavic is you can pay an extra 10% and get a lifetime warranty. It is called the MP3 plan or something like that.

·
Broken
417 Posts
mzungo said:
Bulbs are preaty heavey hard core stuff ..how about the new Deetracks from mavic ...or hope pro's on 325 rims ...thats whats on my Dawg.

Or Bontrager big Earl's are ment to be good and quite cheap.
We are not talking about a freeride bike here he's concerned about weight, Deetracks are not a choice. I'd have to say go with the Crossmaxx XL's Rob.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.