Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to but new wheels on my EX and the shop I work with is offering me a set of Bontrager line comp 30s for it. But I’m a little afraid of getting them. The rims are in internal with of 29mm. I have 1x12 with the stock wheel set on my bike and the chain is vary close to the tire when it’s in the 50 tooth. Does anyone have this set up and do you run the chance of the tire hitting the chain if you go too wide?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've also got a 2014 fuel ex 8 29er model. Mine runs the stock duster wheels. I'm guessing your alloy nipples and spokes started snapping like mine did after about 4 years of use. I ended up getting my wheel rebuilt with new spokes and brass nipples.

For reference, our stock duster wheels were 22mm internal running XR3 2.3 inch tyres.

I would be very cautious running a wider wheel. Those Line 30's are 29mm internal and are often paired with an XR4 2.4 inch tyre. This combo will increase tyre width by 2-4mm each side.

Given that our bikes already have a known issue with rear tyre walls rubbing on the stays, I expect that, with this wider setup, you may see increased sidewall rubbing and premature wear of the tyre sidewalls.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other way I was thinking of going is getting the Raceface asymmetric rims in the 25mm internal with some not overly expensive hub. So i can keep the stick tire size. I don't think I can clear anything bigger then a 2.3. I am running Spec Purgatorys and with 1x12 the chain is the closest thing to the tire when its in the 50t. I am really think if I go any bigger of a tire its going to hit the chain.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Are/were you still running the stock dusters?
If so, I'm don't think they support XD so you must be running an NX Eagle cassette.

Re tyre rub. The frame does not support boost spacing so you can't really adjust the chainline away from the tyre unless you somehow space the front chainring further away from the frame. If you want to try that, Maybe there is some sort of offset boost chainring which you can buy?

Either way, I would not go further than 25mm internal for the rims. Shimano 29er XT rims are this size from memory.

·
Slowohioboy
162 Posts
There may be a Bontrager wheel you could use..... the new TF8 comes with a “Kovee Comp 23”, it isn’t listed on the trek site, but there are some things they don’t show for some reason. May ask your LBS guy if those are an option too.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There may be a Bontrager wheel you could use..... the new TF8 comes with a "Kovee Comp 23", it isn't listed on the trek site, but there are some things they don't show for some reason. May ask your LBS guy if those are an option too.
These are a good idea - But not sure if these wheels are non-boost? (142mm hubs)

Another idea is Hunt XC wide wheels. 25mm wide internal. these come in non-boost I think. Don't know much about them but they seem to get good reviews.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
A rim adds rougly 1/3 of it's increased width to the width of the tire. For example, going from 22 to 29 mm IW rims is +7mm which will increase the tires carcass width a little over 2mm. Measured at the knobs the increase is usually a little less.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys It looks like I'm not going to do the Line Comp 30s. I am going to build a wheel set or find one with a rim with thats close to the stock wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.